Position: Content and Communications Specialist
Reports to: Manager, Marketing, Communications and Brand
Liaises With: Design and Digital Marketing Specialist, Patron Sales and Services Manager, Arts Learning Programs Manager, Gallery Manager and Curator
Status: Non-exempt, Full time, permanent
Hours of work: Full-time, Monday – Friday (40-hour work week)
Application deadline: Until filled
Compensation: $50,000 annually, based on experience; extended health benefits after 3 months; paid vacation.
The ACT Arts Centre (The ACT), located in Maple Ridge and part of the Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD), is the leading provider of engaging, vibrant and excellent Arts Learning Programs, Gallery Exhibitions and Performing Arts Presentations for the growing communities of the region. Opened in 2003, the 486-seat theatre, studio theatre and instruction studios are home to many cultural and community events, delivering an array of diverse arts and cultural programming and activities to over 80,000 patrons annually.
The Marketing and Communications Department is responsible for developing, creating, and distributing all communications to drive The ACT brand in an exceptional and positive manner, including meeting sales and participation targets while delivering a superlative customer experience. The Marketing Department is data-driven and conducts continuing demographic and other research to retain and engage current patrons/participants in new ways and more frequently; reach and acquire new patrons/participants; and increase participation in The ACT programs from a wider range of patrons/participants.
The Content and Communications Specialist will be our brand’s ‘voice’ and will play a key role in enhancing our brand presence through the creation of written and digital content, engaging with our audiences, and effectively conveying our message, using best practices for contemporary marketing and communications strategies. They will be responsible for developing communications strategies, managing social media channels, creating compelling content, and monitoring online interactions.
The ideal candidate will have a high degree of cultural awareness in the performing and visual arts, a deep understanding of social media platforms, imaginative copywriting and marketing project management skills combined with solid understanding of email, digital, and social media marketing, as well as direct mail best practices to support acquisition and retention campaign that maintain and enhance The ACT’s brand.
- Develops creative, persuasive messaging for webpages, e-newsletters, social media, advertising, press releases, event listings, signage, print publications, SEO, and content marketing/thought leadership.
- Creates engaging and visually appealing and informative content, including videos and written posts, that align with our brand.
- Manages and maintains social media presence on platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter/X, TikTok, LinkedIn, etc.
- Participates in strategic planning with the Marketing Department team.
- Meets regularly with the Marketing team, providing regular updates through informal and formal communication.
- Stays up- to- date with industry trends, social media best practices, and emerging technologies to constantly innovate and improve our content and social media efforts.
- Other duties, tasks and projects may be assigned by the Manager, Marketing Communications and Brand.
- Minimum Undergraduate Degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Arts Administration or Public relations required.
- Education in a marketing-related program and/or experience in a professional marketing setting or working knowledge of contemporary marketing and communications strategies and practices .
- Cultural and artistic literacy in the arts community, including an understanding of and/or participation in arts and culture, especially the live performing arts and events.
- Excellent, effective, creative written communication skills
- Ability to produce photography and videography
- Ability and knowledge working with a wide variety of online social media platforms such as Hootsuite and SurveyMonkey
- Exceptionally strong project management and time management skills.
- Ability to conduct analysis, plan, organize, manage, monitor, complete, and evaluate projects within allocated time and resources
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities. Ability to prioritize and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Experience with Adobe, (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) Canva, Square Space, Survey Monkey, etc.
- Proficient is MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Outlook
- Must have a criminal record check with vulnerable sector check completed upon hiring.
- Must provide a minimum of (3) professional references prior to hiring
· Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
· Valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulation.
The Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows Arts Council and ACT Arts Centre is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our performing, learning, volunteering, and work environments. We welcome applicants who will work respectfully and constructively with differences among a broad spectrum of employees and members of the community.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: From $50,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- MAPLE RIDGE, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- content creation and development: 1 year (required)
Work Location: In person