Job ID: 39663
Job Category: Project Management
Division & Section: Solid Waste Management Services, Policy, Planning and Outreach
Work Location: City Hall - 100 Queen Street West
Job Type & Duration: Permanent, Full-Time
Salary: $112,000.00 – $144,200.00/year, TM1819, Wage Grade 7.5
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Affiliation: Non - Union
Number of Positions Open: 1
Posting Period: 20-OCT-2023 to 27-OCT-2023
Reporting to the Manager, Solid Waste Policy & Planning, the Senior Project Manager will leverage their skills in research and policy analysis and development, project management, change management, program evaluation and stakeholder engagement, on a range of projects and initiatives, such as the Long-Term Waste Management Strategy, Single-Use & Takeaway Items Reduction Strategy and Waste Audits.
- Manages projects and coordinates the development of initiatives that support to advance initiatives such as the Single-Use & Takeaway Items Reduction Strategy.
- Manages and motivates project teams, ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others.
- Develops and implements detailed project plans, including change management plans consulting with the public and internal and external stakeholders on the planning, execution and evaluation or projects.
- Reviews, tracks, evaluates and reports progress and performance as it relates to the delivery of assigned projects to ensure adherence to schedule, project scope, and ensure project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Conducts and provides leadership direction to junior staff to support research into assigned areas, ensuring that such analysis considers developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Analyzes policy and programmatic/operational related issues, develops strategies, makes recommendations to Divisional Senior Management, stakeholders and other accountable parties and participates in implementation of policies, programs and projects.
- Leverages governmental experience in policy analysis, creation and implementation to develop strategic policy initiatives.
- Prepares, reviews and advises on, studies and plans regarding implementation of any recommendations to achieve the objectives of the Long Term Waste Management Strategy.
- Works with Purchasing Materials Management Division, Legal Services and other operating Divisions to develop procurement documents, evaluates responses and makes recommendations for award of contracts.
- Assists in the negotiation and execution of contracts. Reviews, tracks, evaluates and manages contracts, consultants and/or vendors progress and performance on delivery of various projects.
- Works with all sections of the Division and other City Divisions as required to support the planning and implementation of project plans and change management plans.
- Establishes, maintains and fosters linkages to other Divisions to ensure effective partnerships and alignment to other corporate priorities and strategic actions, and works to ensure adherence to common goals to minimize duplication and maximize efficient use of resources in order to advance project deliverables on time and on budget.
- Liaises with external stakeholders including municipal waste industry associations and industry organizations.
- Represents Solid Waste Management Services Division at meetings and on various committees including staff and stakeholders; attends project related meetings as required; corresponds with Councillor offices as required.
- Builds, maintains and ensures positive working relations, including all correspondence with all internal and external stakeholders, consultants, and vendors.
- Prepares detailed and timely reports and presentations to senior management, public meetings, Committees of Council, at project milestone dates, as well as work plans, critical path schedules, and briefing notes as required.
- Self-checks completed work assignments, seeks supervisory review of completed work and makes revisions as requested.
- Manages implementation issues as they arise in consultation with the Manager, monitors the progress of project teams, and initiates corrective actions to mitigate and manage project issues.
- Post Secondary education in Environmental Studies, Public Policy and Administration, Sustainability, Environmental Sciences or other related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable management and organizational experience in strategic project management, managing multiple projects from inception to implementation, including managing and balancing project budgets, management of project teams and the ability to handle multiple and diverse projects and priorities, in a detail and deadline-oriented, fast-paced environment. Project Management Profession (PMP) designation considered an asset.
- Considerable experience in policy analysis, program development, and strategic planning in a multi-stakeholder environment. Experience related to waste, environment and sustainability, and within a government setting would be considered an asset.
- Considerable experience in the preparation of policy documents, technical documents, and staff reports to Executive level Senior Management Team, or Government Committees, Council or other governing bodies.
- Experience engaging and collaborating with internal and external stakeholder groups, including stakeholders of multiple levels of seniority (staff, management and senior management) to build and sustain partnerships and deliver effective strategic solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and highly developed communication and presentation skills with the ability to communicate both orally and in writing at all levels of the organization, and with political representatives, consultants, contractors, the public, and the media.
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills with the ability to handle and resolve difficult situations in a professional manner.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, and in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders/subject matter experts.
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize activities to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to exercise political acumen, sound judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential operational matters.
- Proficiency with a variety of computerized office systems including MS Office (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook), database software packages, and digital meeting and collaboration tools.
- Available for occasional meetings or events in evening and on weekends.
Note To Current City of Toronto Employees
City of Toronto employees are eligible to apply for the posted job opportunity, but cannot hold two different jobs. To be considered for this job posting, you must indicate that you are a "Current City of Toronto employee" on the on-line application form, and provide your "Employee Number".
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.