This position is a part of the Association of the Academic Staff of the University of Alberta (AASUA).
In accordance with the Temporary Librarian, Administrative and Professional Officer (TLAPO) Agreement, this position has an end date of March 2025 and offers a comprehensive benefits package found at Faculty & Staff Benefits and annual salary range of $66,730 - $111,144
Location - North campus and Enterprise Square. This role is hybrid with a mix of remote and in person
The Strategic Communications portfolio enables the University of Alberta to deliver on the vision and goals outlined in the university’s strategic plan. We illustrate the value that the U of A provides to our community and to society as a whole.
In service of the One University strategy, we work with academic and operational leaders to tie their operational and strategic plans into the larger university strategy in a way that moves the dial on important measures of success. As a centre of expertise, we view our communications from end to end throughout the life cycles of our important communities. We integrate the seemingly disparate initiatives into a master narrative that showcases the unique aspects of the University of Alberta.
Whether we work directly with partners on their initiatives, or support their work through portfolio-initiated projects, we connect the dots from strategies across the institution – especially where they connect to the larger institutional goals – and draw them together into a compelling and consistent narrative of one of the Top 5 universities in Canada.
Reporting to the Senior Partner, the Partner, Communications and Marketing will help advance the strategic goals of a Vice-president portfolio at the University of Alberta, including Academic, Facilities and Operations, Research and Innovation, and University Services and Finance.
As Partner, Communications and Marketing, you will develop and work closely with colleagues to deliver integrated communications, marketing, digital and creative services to internal and external audiences. As the dedicated point of contact for client service for a specific portfolio you’ll provide excellent client relations service and strategic communications and marketing advice.
If you’re a proactive relationship manager who excels at driving strategic communications and marketing solutions, and balancing priorities and projects serving multiple senior leaders, this role was made for you. As an organized, detail-oriented and collaborative person, you enjoy problem solving, building momentum on a team and delivering solutions.
Communications and marketing planning
- Develop communications and marketing strategies for client portfolios.
- Gather pertinent information for project scoping, lead project meetings, support Communications Associates with task completion, manage timelines, resources and delivery of strategic communications and marketing solutions.
- Work with Centres of Expertise including media relations, issues management and creative and digital solutions on the execution of communications and marketing strategies.
- Steward strategic partnerships and information sharing
- Regularly assess processes and workflow to ensure consistency and efficiency, recommending changes when appropriate
- Provide strategic advice, information and technical interpretation on complex strategic communications matters in a manner that can be easily understood by leaders/partners who do not share the same technical background
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 3-5 years of progressive experience in strategic communications, marketing or journalism in a complex organization
- Expertise in client management or partner relations in a multi-stakeholder organization (ability to work with all levels of staff and management)
- Deep understanding of all communication channels
- Experience in developing complex strategies (marketing and communications)
- Solid commitment to consultation, collaboration and communication
- High degree of professionalism and judgment
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Solid understanding of academic culture, the university’s policies and procedures and its organizational structure
- Experience designing and delivering communications and marketing within a large, complex organization will be considered an asset.