Engineering Project Lead- Energy Transition (Relocation to Saint John, NB)
Are you an engineering leader with a passion for Energy Transition and a track record for delivering capital projects on plan? If you are, we are looking for an Engineering Project Lead to support Energy Transition projects within our Engineering Services team. In this role you will report directly to the Senior Manager of Front End & External Engineering.
The Engineering Services team is responsible for all engineering services for the approximately 200 projects that are undertaken each year at Canada’s largest oil refinery in Saint John, NB. As the Engineering Project Lead - Energy Transition, you will leverage your skills as an adept project leader and project engineer to deliver on projects that are critical to reducing our carbon footprint. You will act as a liaison between the day to day work of project engineers supporting various projects and senior management to ensure timeline and deliverable alignment. In addition, you’ll work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary environment using your engineering and design skills to provide oversight for engineering on projects; while ensuring all work is compliant with all applicable codes, standards, and legal requirements.
Because this is a hybrid opportunity, you will enjoy being able to work from home a portion of each week and take advantage of face-to-face time when you’re in our modern offices to collaborate and build strong professional relationships with your peers.
You will make periodic visits to the Saint John Refinery to review field conditions associated with your projects, and you may be asked to travel occasionally to other locations in support of the work. This position requires that you be willing and able to wear all personal protective equipment (PPE) as required.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, bonus and pension plan
- Flexible benefits, including a Health Spending Account
- Hybrid Work Opportunity – flexible work model that supports a blend of in-office and remote
- Wellness support, including annual wellness allowance and paid personal care days
- Paid vacation and optional vacation purchasing
- Personal and professional development opportunities
- On-site fitness centre with daily fitness classes.
- Nurse-staffed health clinic offering mental health support, wellness assessments, pre-natal support, etc.
- Named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for seven consecutive years.
Your Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provides interdisciplinary leadership to engineering services team members (Front End Engineers, Discipline Engineers & Project Engineers) & External Engineering providers to ensure we deliver on engineering plans and milestones for projects.
- Interfaces with Project Managers, Engineering Services Leadership, Energy Transition, Project Execution, Turnaround, Operations and Technical stakeholders on progression of engineering deliverables, design decisions, issues and mitigation plans.
- Primary point of contact for Engineering Services, acting as Engineering Lead for Energy Transition projects. This role has no formal reports, therefore delivering results through influence is critical to success.
- Reports on engineering plans, progress and issue resolution at relevant Engineering Services and Energy Transition Leadership/Project meetings.
- Responsible for holding internal and external engineering resources and vendors accountable to engineering deliverable schedule, effort estimates and quality commitments.
- Responsible to oversee the development of engineering scopes throughout all phases of the projects’ lifecycle, including the corresponding budgets, effort estimates, and schedules, and any associated change management.
- Ensures project engineer(s) lead and participate in technical review meetings, project and design reviews, and oversees the preparation of deliverables to ensure consistency.
- Responsible for coordination of engineering scope packages to support the bidding of engineering services to external providers
- Ensures timely review of proposals from external service providers, co-ordination of technical bid evaluations and alignment with Supply Management on recommendations to leadership on the preferred provider for the work.
- Works closely with Project Managers, Discipline Leads and Project Engineers to ensure that any issues with compliance, execution, risk management, and project close-out requirements are resolved.
- Ensures Project Engineers conduct engineering RFI disposition during construction phase.
- Ensures Project Engineers coordinate the engineering close out process for projects.
- Enjoy working in an innovative, fast paced and dynamic multi-disciplinary, multi-project engineering environment.
- Sound understanding of various engineering discipline work processes, interdependencies, methodologies and terminologies
- Able to articulate technical concepts and other project information in a clear, concise way.
- Strong analytical skills to be proactive in identifying risk and solving problems.
- Able to influence without authority and lead alignment amongst various internal organizations.
- Strong ability to communicate, in writing and verbally to a wide range of audiences from frontline staff through senior leadership.
- Able to make decisions based on sound business judgment and engineering requirements.
- Self-motivated with a positive, creative, and solutions-focused attitude.
- Ability to stay within budget and meet deadlines.
- Ability to see beyond your area of expertise, and understand interdisciplinary dependencies.
- This position will require you to be in the field periodically so you must be able to bend, stoop, crawl, and climb heights, while wearing all required PPE.
- This position is based out of the home office, Saint John, NB, however, occasional travel may be required.
Education and experience
- University degree in engineering
- P.Eng. designation is a requirement.
- Knowledge of complex design engineering concepts, practices, and procedures; including the interdependencies, methodologies and responsibilities of the various design engineering disciplines (Process, Mechanical, Piping. CSA, Electrical and Instrumentation).
- Minimum 12 years of engineering experience on capital projects in the oil and gas, power or heavy industry sectors.
- Minimum of 2 years of informal or formal leadership experience.
- Minimum of 5 year Project Engineering and/or Project Management Experience.
- Experience overseeing or managing other aspects of project execution – materials management, contracts management, construction management/field engineering, commissioning is an asset.
- Experience working within an owner’s organization, either within project development / management or operations is an asset.
- PMP or other project management designation is an asset.
Irving Oil supports a diverse and inclusive work environment and welcomes applications from all qualified applicants.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: In person