Proximity Institute is an independent charitable organization dedicated to leadership development and change leadership at the most senior level in Ontario hospitals. We seek to understand the contextual realities facing Ontario hospitals and work in partnership with CEOs and their leadership teams on the priorities that matter most. Our long-term ambition is to work collaboratively with hospitals to identify, develop and ready a quality pipeline of emerging CEO talent.
Proximity was founded by the Ontario Hospital Association (OHA).
About the Role
The Consultant, Strategic Initiatives is an integral member of a small, high-performing team pursuing the purpose of enabling effective leadership in an integrated and dynamic hospital sector in Ontario. The Consultant is a critical thinker who brings a strong analytical mind to initiatives that further Proximity’s strategy and work. With a keen interest in leadership and a motivation to contribute to Ontario’s hospital sector, and with skills and experience in research (formal and informal), evaluation and project management, the Consultant is both expert and generalist on the small Proximity team.
The right candidate will bring to bear their multi-faceted experience to an array of initiatives that further Proximity’s purpose of enabling effective leadership. This includes:
- Stakeholder engagement and needs analysis
- The ability to analyze knowledge, data, conversations and/or research findings, and synthesize this input into findings, hypotheses and applied learning for the work of Proximity
- Experience and exposure to research – quantitative and qualitative, formal and informal
- Strong logic and the ability to build a compelling case through proposal, presentation and narrative
- Development, application, dissemination and/or amplification of leadership learning working with other members of the Proximity team, including as examples:
- applied research initiatives/consortia and/or collaborating with academic research partners
- roundtables, dialogues, or debates
- publications (such as short articles, blogs, podcasts)
- business or teaching case writing and development
- film and video
Entrepreneurial, passionate and analytical
- You have an incisive and curious mind
- You ask good questions and you listen to comprehend
- You thrive on the energy and learning of running with multiple, unfolding strategic projects and can effectively manage and organize well under pressure
- People would describe you as genuinely curious; a team-player and interested in others
- You set a high standard for your deliverables and enjoy iterating to strengthen your work and outputs
Systematic, logical and process-oriented
- You are able to think conceptually while being pragmatic
- You have a natural inclination to explore and then synthesize findings, conduct thematic analysis, connect the dots and find patterns, formulate questions and generate hypotheses with discipline and rigour
- You have proven informal and formal research skills, conducting literature reviews and environmental scans, analyzing and synthesizing data, forming cogent arguments.
- You possess sound knowledge and application of project management
- You understand evaluation methodologies and approaches to develop, implement and monitor evaluation within the context of a project
Qualifications and experience
- You have a post-secondary degree or preferably a Master’s degree in business administration or equivalent
- You have 7+ years of work experience
- Proximity welcomes diversity of professional background and experience; Hospital or health care experience is welcome but not requisite
- Demonstration of ongoing learning such as a Project Management Professional (PMP), or Change Management certification is welcomed.
Proximity is seeking an individual who will add to the rich capability mix of the team and welcomes candidates from a range of backgrounds, education, work history and interests. Proximity encourages applicants both from within the Ontario health system and other sectors.
About our Team
Our small entrepreneurial team has diverse expertise in leadership development, change leadership, learning design and strategic analysis, and we take shared accountability in understanding each other’s inherent strengths, goals and potential.
At Proximity, we are explicit about shaping a culture that reflects the leadership priorities we aim to impact. Our culture of learning and improvement is anchored in our values of integrity, curiosity and camaraderie. We are committed to establishing and sustaining a positive work culture where team members feel seen and heard. We take immense pride in our thriving work culture built on trust, collaboration, empowerment, agility and respect.
About the Process
If this sounds like it may be a good fit, we would love to hear from you.
Please send us your c.v. and a letter of interest briefly explaining who you are and what in this opportunity piques your interest by September 29, 2023.
Every expression of interest will be considered. We will only contact you if we wish to have an exploratory conversation with you.
At Proximity, we are committed to fostering a climate of equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility. We welcome and respect the diversity of all members of our community.
Proximity offers a hybrid and flexible work environment where employees have the option to work remotely or from our office in downtown Toronto, based on personal work preferences and/or organizational/project requirements.
The successful applicant must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (as defined by the Government of Canada) or have a valid vaccination exemption pursuant to the Human Rights Code. Further, they must provide proof of vaccination (or a valid exemption) prior to the start date, provide updated information as necessary, and comply with any ongoing vaccination-related requirements.