CNL’s Applied Physics Branch (APB) undertakes simulations and modelling, experimental measurements, operational support, and novel technology development, in program areas primarily related to Safety and Security. Within the area of Safety and Security, there is a need for the expertise in Cyber Security (CS) as it applies to Operational Technology (OT). Knowledge of reactor system Instrumentation and Control (I&C) and related CS considerations would be an asset, but not essential as the CNL CS strategy includes expansion to all critical infrastructure.
To augment the current CS section in APB, we are looking for a versatile Senior Systems Architect/Application Engineer to lead software solution development. Reporting to the Applied Physics Branch Manager, the successful candidate with other senior staff would be working with and leading a young, dynamic team researching cyber security solutions for industrial systems. This work requires innovating computer-based solutions involving the deployment of existing tools and technologies as well as developing customized software solutions that could be drivers, Graphical User Interfaces (GUI), database applications, communication protocols or scripts to support automation. The application context is the provisioning of CS technologies in OT, as opposed to Information Technology (IT) environments.
If this kind of work ignites your passion, here is what we are looking for:
Adherence to software engineering best practices (e.g., configuration management, change control, testing, documentation). Experience with secure development practices is an asset. The work has the potential to be wide ranging (e.g., full stack) so we are looking for someone with demonstrated experience and enthusiasm for leading the development of complex or multi-faceted software solutions through the full development lifecycle.
- Senior technical lead for computer-based solution development
- Preparation of project proposals and work plans (activities, budget, schedule, resources) and associated project management activities (e.g., progress reports, final reports)
- Can develop and effectively articulate novel ideas, concepts, and proposals for new projects for existing or proposed new customers
- Provide advice on strategic direction, planning, and coordination of major research programs
- Lead large groups of engineering/science and technical staff in highly technical applications, and is responsible for the motivation and guidance of the team and their technical output
- Mentor science & technology staff
- Will have an established and wide network of contacts to be an effective representative of organizational or national scientific interests at national and international meetings, and helps grow and direct CNL involvement in these activities
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Applied Mathematics from a university of recognized standing
- 10+ years’ software development experience with at least three programming/scripting languages (e.g., C, C++, C#, Java, Python, Jira, Perl, MATLAB) and tools (e.g., Git, GitLab)
- Demonstrated expertise in architecting software solutions and leading project delivery in small teams (< 10 people)
- Experience in software development lifecycle and associated tools (e.g., requirements, design, implementation, integration, test, deployment, change control, configuration management and release management).
- Experience in the following technologies is highly desirable:
- Database Management / Configuration in SQL
- Modern computing technologies (e.g., VMWare and Hyper-V HyperVisors, switch and firewall configurations, Web Servers)
- Operating systems (e.g., Windows, Windows Server, Linux)
- Communication protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL)
- Industrial I&C communication protocols (e.g., MODBUS, Profibus, OPC)
- Experience commercializing products an asset
Does working with a team across Canada to advance nuclear science and technology for a clean and secure world speak to you? We're reinventing ourselves to be the pace setters, so we can lead the charge in solving the problems that matter, like building the next generation of clean nuclear and hydrogen energy solutions, developing new and better-targeted cancer treatments, and continuing to lead the world in environmental remediation.
We offer a complete total rewards package:
o paid time off (vacation, sick, floater & personal);
o benefits effective day one, that’s right no waiting period;
o tuition support
o and a pension!
CNL is Canada's premier nuclear science and technology organization and a world leader in developing nuclear technology for peaceful and innovative applications. Using our unique expertise, we are restoring and protecting the Environment, we are advancing clean energy technology, and our medical breakthroughs continue to improve the health of people around the world.
- Clean energy for today and tomorrow.
- Restore and protect the Environment.
- Contribute to the health of Canadians.
CNL is committed to providing an atmosphere free from barriers that promotes equity, diversity and inclusion in achieving our mission. CNL welcomes and celebrates employees, stakeholders and partners of all racial, cultural, and ethnic identities.
CNL also supports a workplace environment and a corporate culture that is built on our Core Values: Respect, Teamwork, Accountability, Safety, Integrity and Excellence which encourage equitable employment practices and career prospects inclusive of accommodations for all employees.
CNL is committed to being an equal-opportunity employer. If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please indicate via our ATS when applying. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.
CNL recognizes and respects that the territory on which our Fredericton office is based is the unceded and unsurrendered traditional territory of the Wabanaki peoples – predominantly the lands of the Miꞌkmaq, Wolastoqey (Maliseet) and Peskotomahkati (Passamaquoddy). We express our gratitude and appreciation to those Indigenous people who have been living and working on these lands since time immemorial.