This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits.
Consideration will only be given to applications with a resume and a cover letter.
Location - North Campus Edmonton. This role is hybrid with a mix of remote and in-person.
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Reporting to the Faculty General Manager (FGM), the Administrative Coordinator is responsible for supporting finance, human resources, research and other operational activities within the faculty as assigned by the FGM or in support of the Service Partners.
The position will be required to make timely and independent decisions, escalating as required and acting on their own initiative. This relates to the management of office workflow, circulation and compilation of information, the scheduling of work and in arranging meetings. The position works closely with the Director of Undergraduate Programs, the Associate Deans of Research and Graduate Studies, various Partners (HR, Finance, Research, Marketing & Communications) as well as liaises with the Staff Service Centre and Centres of Expertise as required. The position requires an understanding of University Policies and Procedures and an overall understanding of the service model, enabling the incumbent to advise staff, students and Faculty where to access resources and services.
- Screens, directs and processes phone, electronic and in-person queries.
- Manages correspondence for a designated unit and ensures queries are properly directed and followed through.
- Prepares letters, emails and other documents, proofreads and reformats documents.
- Creates and maintains spreadsheets and/or databases. Prepares standard and ad-hoc reports for the area. Designs and develops customized reports for specific needs.
- Maintains area records. Establishes, maintains or updates files.
- Sends out surveys or information requests. Compiles submissions for review.
- Coordinates the collection of documents/forms from staff as required.
- Provides administrative support for standing and special meetings. Prepares and coordinates documents and agendas. Anticipates and prepares supporting materials. Distributes meeting minutes. Serves as recording secretary as required.
- Coordinates and helps facilitate the annual UniForum process for the Faculty.
- Coordinates and leads the administrative functions related to FEC and ATSEC.
- Creates CCID’s for new appointments and sets up guest or pre-hire access as required.
- Coordinates and assists with area-specific processes or events (e.g. award submission, social event, etc.).
- Responsible for the research bulletin, research data reporting and research pre-grant support as required.
- Maintains and updates Faculty organizational charts in collaboration with the Marketing and Communications Partner.
- Updates and manages Faculty of Nursing communication groups.
- Processes eSecurity requests as required.
Process Coordination: 50%
- Coordinates area transactions in consultation with the HR Partner, Finance Partner, IST Partner, or Faculty General Manager.
- Coordinates the administration of transactional processes related to Finance:
- Process purchase requisitions, purchase orders and invoices through SupplyNet. Submits vendor payments.
- Requests Credit Cards for new staff as required. Performs credit card verifications and reconciliations.
- Initiates travel and expense claims for area leadership.
- Reviews individual transactions and supporting documentation for accuracy, compliance to policy and appropriate authorizations.
- Provides guidance and assists users with the completion of routine financial issues and transactions. May complete paperwork or input transactions for staff members in the area.
- Identifies, troubleshoots and resolves transactional issues. Corrects errors. Escalates broader, more complex issues.
- Escalates and seeks guidance from the Finance Partner as required.
- Coordinates the administration of transactional processes related to Human Resources:
- Provides guidance and assists users with the completion of routine HR issues and transactions. Coordinates and guides managers and supervisors on processes related to HR.
- Coordinates and initiates various activities (eForms/ePAFs, speed code change requests, one-time payments, honorariums, off-cycle payments, leave requests, responsibility/acting pay, position information change forms, etc.).
- CRNA, Police Information and Immunization tracking and verification.
- Adjunct, Clinical Associate and Secondment appointments and tracking.
- Weekly, monthly and ad hoc reporting as required (Friday report, Position end dates, performance and probation, council, vacation reconciliation, etc.).
- Processes of awards and studentships, and Graduate Student Assistantships.
- Coordinates the process for hiring Term ATS Lecturers including tracking of merit eligibility.
- Coordinates position postings and screening.
- Maintains FoN personnel files.
- Facilitates the annual Conflict Disclosure process, communication, collection, review by the Dean and record management.
- Escalates and seeks guidance from the Human Resources Partner as required.
- Coordinates the administration of transactional processes related to Research:
- Organizes Research Advisory Committee meetings throughout the year and takes meeting notes.
- Collects internal award applications and in consultation with the Chair, assigns applications to reviewers.
- Reviews Research Advisory Committee membership annually and works with the Chair to find new members and confirm end dates.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Diploma (Administrative diploma program).
- 3-5 years of administrative experience, preferably in a postsecondary environment.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in use of database, spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Strong skills with U of A applications are preferred (Google, PeopleSoft, Bear Tracks, ARISE, Campus Solutions, Alfresco, APS appointment process, etc.).
- Proven ability to take initiative regarding problems and provide recommendations to the Faculty General Manager.
- Excellent time management skills with good attention to detail.
- Strong understanding UAPPOL, Collective Agreements (NASA, AASUA, GSA) and Employment Standards.