Corporate and Financial Services
Rate of Pay
$76,516.00 - $90,012.00 Annual
Permanent Full Time
Internal and External
We are looking for a communications expert who is creative, engaged, digitally savvy, and is passionate about storytelling and connecting with residents of Richmond Hill.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Gets that listening is the key to communicating
- Can operate at different levels – from building social media strategies to being immersed in the details of every post
- Understands user experience and design in web design
- Is comfortable working with digital and social media tools and editing video.
- Can handle multiple demands on their time
- Is confident and engaging and able to work in collaboration with departments across the City of Richmond Hill
- Is creative and always researching and looking for innovative ways to reach out and engage our audience and build accessible content on our website
- Understands that brand matters — what and how we communicate and to which audience, can be a differentiator
- Is a people person—works extremely well with people and brings an accessible, diverse and equitable lens to everything they produce
Reporting to the Director, Strategic Communications, the Digital Communications Specialist manages and runs the City's official website RichmondHill.ca and corporate social media channels. You are the subject matter expert and provide advice and guidance to stakeholders and staff regarding the City’s website and social media presence. You are a creative and a storyteller who stays up to date on current trends and finds new and exciting ways to engage with audiences.
This role offers the opportunity to work from home and the office as part of a hybrid work arrangement. In addition to a competitive salary and an opportunity to make a difference in a great community, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including paid vacation, defined benefit pension plan, health and dental benefits, employee and family assistance program, wellness program, training opportunities, local fitness membership and more. Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the continued development of the City's website using iCreate and manage relationships with external vendors and services in collaboration with IT
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the City’s website, including, but not limited to developing and posting content, approving content updates submitted by internal website contributors, managing the event calendar and homepage
- Develop, manage and update web forms in collaboration with Communications Advisors and IT
- Manage the City’s corporate social media channels on a daily basis to provide current and consistent messaging, respond to inquiries and engage with stakeholders
- Monitor City-related social media channels run by internal departments to ensure adherence to City standards and guidelines, and collaborate with internal clients to create content as required
- Support the City's monthly community e-newsletter
- Monitor and post service-related messages (i.e. road closures, watermain breaks) as required
- Coordinate web and social media campaigns in collaboration with Communications Advisors and relevant departments
- Write, edit, proofread and post content for the website, intranet and social media channels and ensure adherence to standards and guidelines
- Lead the social media strategy for the division including researching, investigating and implementing new technology, trends, applications and social media innovations
- Lead the user experience/journey of Richmondhill.ca
- Assess social media content using analytical tools, and make recommendations to improve engagement
- Provide advice, subject matter expertise on social media and web-related policies, procedures and guidelines to City staff
- Provide web and content management system training for content contributors
- Serve as a communication representative on various City committees to ensure goals are aligned with the Corporate Strategy and Vision
- On occasion, attend City events to produce social media content, take photos, etc.
- Develop relationships with stakeholders and other government agencies to work on best practices and create succinct content.
- Coordinate the creation of branding, layout and design for corporate projects and initiatives working collaboratively with the Design and Production team, Marketing and Advertising Advisor, Communications Advisors and departmental representatives
- Maintain website standards, style guide and writing guide
- Edit and create digital website banners, produce quality videos, take and post professional-quality photographs
- Assist with managing, identifying gaps and coordinating updates for the City's digital photo and video library
- Degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Multimedia Arts or a related discipline (i.e. Computer Programming, etc.).
- Post-Graduate education in Communications, UX Design, Public Relations or web/social media certification is considered an asset.
- We’re interested not only in what you studied at school, but how you’ve applied it to your career. If you have at least 3 years’ experience working in a related field or have worked with video, web design or social media, we want to hear about it.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite, Google Analytics, content management systems, and various social media platforms (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, etc.)
- Experience managing a corporate website and professional social media accounts
- Digital marketing expertise, and current knowledge of social media platforms and website content management systems
- Experience in issues management, and a demonstrated understanding of how to identify current and emerging issues of significance to the corporation
- Experience using a DSLR camera and photo editing software (i.e. Photoshop and/or Lightroom)
- Experience filming and editing video would be an asset
- Proficiency in mobile apps like Adobe Spark, Canva, VSCO, or similar apps for creating on-the-go content.
- Builds people and culture
- Cultivates open communication
- Demonstrates personal leadership
- Navigates and leads through complexity and change
- Shapes the future
Attention Internal Candidates: All current City of Richmond Hill employees are required to apply via the ‘View Jobs for Current Employees’ link on the City’s Careers Page.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
The City of Richmond Hill is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation.