At Trane TechnologiesTM and through our businesses including Trane® and Thermo King®, we create innovative climate solutions for buildings, homes, and transportation that challenge what’s possible for a sustainable world. We're a team that dares to look at the world's challenges and see impactful possibilities. We believe in a better future when we uplift others and enable our people to thrive at work and at home. We boldly go.
Trane in Saint John, NB is hiring an HVAC Controls Project Specialist! This is a critical role on our team, and we are looking for someone with in-depth knowledge of & field experience with HVAC / Building Automation Systems (BAS) Controls. This is a combined role, with responsibilities encompassing project management, field technician work, and some design/engineering.
Responsible for the commissioning, diagnosis, and repair of environmental-control systems, utilizing knowledge of electronics, direct digital control, airflow, hydronics, refrigeration theory, and control techniques. May also be responsible for hardware and software design activities for small building automation systems, utilizing engineering principles and practices for work on assigned projects.
In addition, this role is responsible for projects that have the following criteria:
- Small or fast track Controls projects as defined by the local office.
- Controls Direct and Indirect projects that have strategic value in the District Office.
- Financial responsibility for the project – scope of work, schedule and budget.
- Able to manage multiple vendors and one subcontractor.
- Responsible for end to end testing, downloading programming, starting up, commissioning, and servicing on assigned projects.
- Uses a variety of hand tools, interpreting control drawings, plans, and specifications, to mount, assemble, test, and program the system.
- Responsible for timely completion of assigned projects and customer satisfaction.
- Plans and analyzes assigned projects, establishes schedules and project parameters and sets procedures to accomplish system objectives, involving complex contracting applications.
- Prepares for on-site installation and repairs by examining building layout, anticipating difficulties, gathering materials and coordinating on-site work, as necessary.
- Meets with contractors and owners to discuss scope of project; budgets; performance; and close-out.
- Represents company by serving as a direct customer contact.
- Examines and reviews contracts and estimates by performing risk analysis and developing risk plans.
- Ensures compliance with internal contracting processes.
- Responsible for maintaining the project budget to forecasted values.
- Creates and makes revisions to project schedules including: generating tasks, estimates, dependencies; milestones, CPM Analysis; and Histogram Analysis.
- Oversees the following: preparation of Trane material and vendor orders; recording the receipt of materials and approving payments.
- Prepares sub-contractor request for quotation’s (RFQ) including: scope statements; plans and milestone dates; specs; bonding requirements; and billing schedule of values.
- Receives and qualifies subcontractor proposals; supervises work of project assigned staff, subcontractors and installers.
- Responsible for project cash-flow management: progress billing, collections support and monitoring, and resource management.
- Responsible for change order management by recommending solutions, facilitating quotes and closing orders.
- Ensures that quality standards are maintained for assigned projects.
- Maintains customer satisfaction by investigating concerns, implementing corrective action, and communicating with customers and assigned staff.
- Establishes professional relationship and communicates with field support staff and customers and their representatives. Interfaces constantly to maintain accurate status reports and project reviews.
- Provides technical support to customers on assigned projects.
- Documents work by completing paperwork on each job, including daily time, progress, and duration; and maintaining files.
- Provides training and follow-up training at customer site.
- Obtains acceptance and timely sign-off of the project by the customer.
- Flexibility to work outside normal work hours/weekends, as required.
- HVAC Controls technical expertise.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license for a minimum of 12 months, with no major or frequent traffic violations including, but not limited to:
- DUI, Hit & Run, License Suspension, Reckless / Careless Driving or multiple smaller infractions or preventable collisions in the previous 3 years.
Additional Requirements and Environmental Exposure
- Must be able to safely and legally operate a vehicle using a seat belt
- Must be able to wear helmets, safety goggles, fall protection harness and safety boots to safely perform job duties
- Must be able to twist the trunk of your body 90 degrees in each direction
- Must be able to squat and touch the floor with both hands
- Must be able to reach your hands over your head
- Must be able to stand on concrete surfaces for extended periods, routinely up to 4 hours
- This position is highly physical and requires regular use of hands, fingers, walking, stooping, kneeling and climbing ladders. It requires employees to regularly lift and or move up to 10 lbs., frequently lift and/or move up to 40 lbs. and occasionally lift and/or move more than 40 lbs.
- Must be able to safely use a ladder with a 350 lb. total weight limit, while carrying equipment of 50 lbs. or less
- Must be able to maneuver confined access areas, as small as 30” vertical x 45” horizontal
- Must be able to comfortably and routinely access rooftops with extension and/or fixed ladders at heights of 15’ to 20’, and occasionally, up to 50 feet +
- This role may be exposed to variable weather conditions, moving mechanical parts, heights, risk of electrical shock, noisy operating equipment and other variable environmental conditions based on location
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and programs. We are an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.