Department: Labour, Skills and Immigration
Type of Employment: Temporary
Union Status: NSGEU - NSPG
Closing Date: 09-Oct-23 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
The Department of Labour, Skills and Immigration (LSI) works to provide fairness, safety, and prosperity for all Nova Scotians by helping them live, learn, and work to their highest potential. We have a staff of more than 500 employees working in offices throughout Nova Scotia. Together we are responsible for workplace safety, immigration, apprenticeship, adult education, to help people find and keep jobs in the province and to help employers find and train the people they need.
The Planning and Excellence Consultant will work in collaboration with Skills and Learning Branch staff by participating in, and often leading, various projects, and project teams, to provide validated recommendations and advice to leadership to support decisions regarding programs, services, policies, and strategies.
The position will report to the Manager of Planning and Excellence.
This position will require you to:
- Facilitate and collaborate with other Skills and Learning Branch staff in developing strategic solutions for new initiatives and complex challenges
- Identify workflow structures using workflow analysis techniques and process efficiency tools to monitor and analyze with the intent to find ways to improve programs and services
- Participate and lead program, process, and service delivery reviews to identify areas for improvement using various methods and principles of business process improvement
- Implement projects that appropriately fit client requirements while aligning with the mandate of the Skills and Learning Branch
- Promote program and service excellence across the Skills and Learning Branch
As an ideal candidate, you have experience participating in, and often leading, various projects using project management techniques. You are a dynamic and experienced facilitator, who is able to work with groups of all sizes to develop strategic initiatives and solutions to complex challenges, identify workflow structures to find ways to improve programs and services for external clients. This also may be the right opportunity for you if you have a bachelor’s degree in a related field with 5 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
To ensure that programs are being effectively delivered and that projects are being properly managed, you can identify areas for improvement by identifying needs and gaps, as applicable. You have strong planning, research, and analytical skills to assess the impacts and outcomes of existing and new programs and services. You can leverage data and research to develop recommendations that are presented to senior leadership, including the preparation of program and research reports.
You can develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders, possess exceptional communication (written and verbal) skills, have strong problem solving and conflict resolution capabilities, and have exceptional time and project management skills. In addition, you possess strong collaboration, organization and analytical skills with a proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of products.
While not required, it is considered an asset if you:
- Have experience using and implementing LEAN, LEAN Six Sigma tools and techniques
- Possess a Lean Six Sigma Yellow and/or Green Belt
- Have knowledge of the Labour Market Programs Support System (LaMPSS)
- Have knowledge of the economy, labour market, socio-economic and demographic factors that impact on the effective delivery of LSI service offerings
- Are bilingual (French)
We will assess the above qualifications and competencies using one or more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status and Union agreement, the Government of Nova Scotia offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs. Click here to learn more about our various benefits offering and eligibility criteria.
- Normal work week is 35 hours/week, 7 hours/day
- May be required to work overtime on occasion
- Some travel, within Nova Scotia, may be required
This is a Temporary employment opportunity with an anticipated end date of June 30, 2024. The appointment status (‘term’, ‘temporary’ or ‘casual’) is dependent on the start date of the successful candidate.
Some travel, within Nova Scotia, may be required
- Career Development where you have access to career guidance, tools, resources, and ongoing training for every stage of your career
- Engaging workplace: our Employees feel valued, respected, connected, and tuned in, we have forward-thinking policies and strategies
- Countless career paths
- Department specific flexible working schedules
Pay Grade: PR 13
Salary Range: $2,543.38 - $3,091.70 Bi-Weekly
Employment Equity Statement:
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. The Government of Nova Scotia has an Employment Equity Policy, and we welcome applications from Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your electronic application.
This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current civil service employees represented by the Nova Scotia Government Employees Union (NSGEU). If applying from outside a government office, employees must apply correctly via this link:
Failure to apply correctly means that your application will not be given first consideration as a bargaining unit applicant, and will only be included if external applications are pursued.
External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified civil service bargaining unit candidates. PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. We thank all applicants for the interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All questions and concerns may be directed to [email protected].