Reporting to the Manager of Information Technology, the PC Specialist role is a key member of the service desk team providing tier one support. Work includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, and maintaining all PC hardware and peripherals. The PC Specialist also provides support for applications used by the City (in person, by telephone, or via e-mail) in a timely and accurate fashion. The PC Specialist assists with sourcing products, managing inventory, and researching new technologies for procurement processes.
- Configure PCs with the required core environment software, printer setup and relevant software.
- Install and configure new software, upgrades and patches.
- Troubleshoot various hardware issues with PCs, printers, scanners, other hardware.
- Resolve escalated issues from the support desk and work with the IT Team on break/fix issues, projects, and incident management.
- Troubleshoots and resolves issues for users who need help with teleconferencing and video conferencing.
- Troubleshoot and resolve network connectivity issues at the desktop level including Wi-Fi, Mi-Fi, tethering.
- Setup and support of mobile units in the City-owned vehicles.
- Troubleshoot and resolve connectivity issue at the desktop level within the City’s VPN environment.
- Coordinate asset moves with the users and network team.
- Create computer imaging and deploy assets in accordance with cybersecurity policies.
- Has authentic interest in user needs and in providing a high quality of customer service.
- Demonstrates solid problem solving, critical thinking and analytical skills to troubleshoot and resolve issues and challenges.
- Solid organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and work in a busy environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively – listening, written & verbal, closes the loop with customers and IT staff.
- Ability to deliver results independently and as a part of a team.
- Advises management of any customer service issues or inventory concerns.
- Continuous improvement mindset.
- Conduct research in support of PC, laptop, mobile devices, and printers procurement and development efforts. Evaluate and recommend products for purchase.
- Follow purchasing processes to procure repairs, parts, new assets.
- Update records required for inventory management.
- Manages warranty and coordinates the shipping and tracking of computer hardware to external vendors for repair.
- Liaise with third-party support and PC equipment vendors.
- Disposes of end-of-life equipment appropriately.
- Document all issues through the Information Technology’s ticket tracking system.
Performs various other duties as required.
- Must be Security Cleared. Must take Oath of Confidentiality.
- Must have a valid Class 5 Driver’s License.
- Participates, on a rotation basis, in providing after hours support to users throughout the organization.
- Strong working knowledge in one or more of the following aspects:
o CompTIA A+ Certification
o Most recent version of Windows
o Microsoft Productivity Tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) in Microsoft 365
o Microsoft SharePoint Online and OneDrive
o Solid organizational skills with the ability to implement asset management processes that consistently support quality assurance requirements
o Configure and deploy various computing assets
o Scanning tools to check for viruses, malware or suspicious activity
o Aptitude for first-call resolution and awareness for when to escalate a call
o Technical training on supporting notebooks, desktop PCs, mobile devices and computers.
- Basic understanding in one or more of the following aspects:
o Networking, such as Active Directory, M365 administration, SQL server management, and/or Exchange).
EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
- Completion of a two-year diploma program in networking, database administration, or programming, or related discipline from an accredited college OR completion of a university degree in Computer Science or in a related discipline.
- Number of years of IT field experience combined with certifications will be considered in the hiring process.
The successful applicant will be eligible to work a compressed work week of 4 days (Monday to Thursday) throughout the trial period of the City’s recently adopted Compressed Work Week Trial. This schedule is subject to change.
Please note: It is a condition of employment with the City of Saint John to show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or a valid certificate of medical exemption from vaccination. Those who provide a valid certificate of medical exemption are required to comply with the City’s Vaccine and Test Policy. Failure to comply with this condition of employment is cause for termination.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we live and which we serve. We encourage and support applications from Indigenous, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minority groups. Candidates who belong to such groups, who are qualified, will be given preference at the time of selection.
Applications will be accepted through our online system only. Qualified applicants should submit their cover letters and resumes to:
City of Saint John
Attn: Hiring Committee
www.saintjohn.ca (careers/employment opportunities)