PBX is looking for a qualified Design Engineer, Technologist, or Technician to work with the Municipal Utilities team and other engineers in delivering projects in BC & Alberta.
About PBX Engineering
We are an electrical, systems, and software engineering firm, with offices in Victoria, Vancouver, Squamish, Kelowna, Calgary, and Edmonton. For more than 25 years we have diligently fostered steady growth to a company of almost 100 employees.
This year, we were recognized as one of Canada’s Top Small & Medium Employers 2023 – an award we were proud to have received and understand it must be continuously earned to have true merit.
A quarter of our staff have been with us 10 years or more – that sort of longevity speaks for itself. We understand that only employees who feel valued, respected, and empowered are able to create the innovative solutions that set us apart and deliver the quality of work our clients have come to expect from us.
About the Role
Working closely with other engineers, the Design Engineer, Technologist, or Technician will be a key member of the Municipal Utilities team, with responsibility for project tasks in the following areas:
- Perform client liaison and project management to support efficient and effective project delivery
- Prepare construction-related contract documentation
- Provide constructability reviews
- Conduct site assessments and equipment condition assessments
- Conduct site inspections, construction progress reviews, and field reviews
- Prepare, track, review, and manage construction documentation (change orders, site instructions, shop drawings, quality management forms, test plans, requests for information, as-built drawings, etc.)
- Oversee contractor quality control and testing activities
- Prepare calculations and simulations; Prepare cost estimates
- Produce drawings
- Prepare specifications, reports, technical memos, and other project documentation and deliverables
- Attend meetings
- Perform system commissioning and troubleshooting
- Develop software
- Manage teams and mentor junior staff, as and when directed
A successful candidate will help support and maintain the company’s large and diverse project portfolio, where opportunities for efficiencies will need to be identified and implemented to manage demands related to time and resources as the company grows and workload increases.
We are an award-winning consulting, electrical engineering, software development, systems integration, and project management firm. We provide a complete range of design and deployment services across seven distinct business units: Transportation, Automation, Buildings, Industrial, Integrated Systems, Integrated Security, and Municipal Utilities. Our extensive and diverse project portfolio includes infrastructure that positively impacts the public - come be a part of that!
While in addition to experience with the above responsibilities, the qualifications for the position include:
- Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university, or diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology program or equivalent from a recognized technical institute.
- Eligible for registration with either:
- ASET (Association of Science & Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta) as a C.Tech, CET, or P.Tech.; OR eligible for registration with APEGA as an EIT/P.Eng.
- ASTTBC (Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC) as an AScT.; or eligible for registration with EGBC as an EIT/P.Eng.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Eagerness to learn and a positive, professional attitude
- Able to effectively deal with a high level of responsibility and demanding work schedule
- Knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code
- Strong computer skills including good working knowledge of the MS Office Suite
We provide a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee health and wellness which includes the following:
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Benefits, including short and long-term disability, and life insurance
- Paid time off, including paid holidays, Sudden Illness, Injury & Childcare (SIIC) days
- A Maternity & Parental Leave Top Up Program
- RRSP contributions with company matching
- A Health & Wellness Incentive Program for things like gym memberships, recreational gear, and more
- An Employee Assistance Program
- Annual bonus program based on company and personal performance
- Staff social events, team lunches, and high-quality swag you can actually use or wear with pride
- Flexible work options: full-time from home/office or hybrid models
Qualified applicants are encouraged to send their resumes, complete with references, via email to [email protected]. Include “Design Engineer, Technologist, or Technician, Municipal Utilities” in the subject line.
Resumes will be accepted until position filled.
The PBX Environment
We believe in supporting the long-term career development of our staff through a diverse and challenging workload, industry engagement, and internal and external training. We apply the same effort in fostering a positive social environment as we do in developing innovative and successful projects.
We employ critical thinkers who enjoy solving problems through creative and collaborative interaction. Candidates should be genuinely interested in participating in the mutually beneficial growth and technical development of a very strong and talented group of engineers and designers. Our diverse workload covers numerous markets and practice areas such as:
- Automation and controls
- Bridges and tunnels
- Buildings for healthcare, education, sports and recreation, commercial, and industrial facilities
- Indigenous communities
- Information and communications technology
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- Integrated Security
- Lighting for roadways, bikeways, parks, and other public spaces
- Ports and marine terminals
- Mass transit
- Ski industry
- Systems engineering
- Traffic signals and traffic engineering
- Water and wastewater infrastructure
We continuously strive to make our firm the kind of place where people want to stay: our benefits package and approach to compensation are structured to support that goal. We are looking for someone who shares our passion for high quality work and who is interested in contributing positively to our corporate culture.
Job Type: Full-time
- Bachelor's Degree (required)
- consulting engineering: 2 years (required)
Work Location: In person