Specification Writer - ( 230002L4 )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
Our Buildings Team is renowned for creating high-performance, fiscally responsible and award-winning buildings and interiors. We're passionate about the design quality of the built environment and create designs that are timeless, intelligent, and sustainable. This is the place where great ideas and rewarding careers call home. In our multidisciplinary, team-based environment, collaboration is key among a talented group of architects, engineers, project managers, specifiers, interior designers, and technologists, who work together to create innovative and integrated solutions for a wide range of clients. Our services include architecture, interior design, and engineering for a wide variety of sectors.
Stantec's Calgary AB office has an opportunity for a Specification Writer:
Your Key Responsibilities
- Interpret architectural, engineering, and interior design plans and prepare material lists and specifications to be used as standards by contractors related to building construction activities.
- Analyze plans and details or diagrams, observe and makes notes on materials to prepare specifications for construction activities.
- Write technical descriptions specifying material qualities and properties, utilizing knowledge of material standards, construction processes or manufacturing procedures.
- Conduct quality reviews of construction documents while researching and preparing specifications.
- Research innovative products and systems, assisting in maintaining and developing the firm library of catalogues and other information for designers and architects to use.
- Prepare project manuals including general conditions with an in-depth familiarity with the various CCDC contracts and client supplementary conditions.
- Coordinate progress and bid set printing orders and assure that documents are ready for printing, signing, sealing and distribution.
- Develop specification requirements and solutions.
- Work with project teams to develop documents throughout project phases.
- Stay current on product development, new materials, code changes and industry trends.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Proficient in operating in Word, Excel and Revit.
- Experience in the construction industry, including but not limited to architecture firms, architecture‐engineering firms, construction management or specification consulting firms.
- Knowledge of building codes, industry standards, structures and materials standards.
- Practical knowledge of Construction Management delivery methodology, and Canadian Construction Document Committee (CCDC) contracts.
- Ability to work both independently and in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Excellent communication, organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to organize, schedule time for and process multiple projects at once.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, diploma in architectural technology or another construction‐related field.
- 5 years of experience in a range of architectural skills with a preference for a minimum of 2 years of experience writing specifications
- Registered Specification Writer designation an asset
- Possess good communication skills
- Candidate should be familiar with:
- MasterFormat, most current edition
- Canadian Building Code
- National material standards, UL Standards, ADA Accessibility Guidelines
- Leadership In Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods. Occasional fieldwork may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1153 Buildings-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jun 21, 2023, 1:47:22 PM
Req ID: 230002L4
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans