- 1+ years of computer science fundamentals (object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving and complexity analysis) experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent
- Take pride in being able to refactor code safely
Dive deep into scaling traffic management, authentication, protecting sensitive data, improving web front-ends and delighting AbeBooks customers.
AbeBooks’ mission is “to help people find and buy any book from any bookseller”. As a part of this mission we work daily to help customers discover our marketplace and the millions of books available from thousands of booksellers. This is challenging and equally rewarding for a truly global marketplace for rare and collectable books. We feel proud to provide a seamless experience to buyers from over 200 countries purchasing products from sellers representing over 60 countries. Our sites get millions of page views every day, and we promote millions of books across several marketing channels. We like to think we know what we’re doing, and we’re always keen on learning and improving. Instead of focusing in a narrow slice of technology or business function, AbeBooks is an end to end marketplace with opportunities for you across that entire surface area.
Key job responsibilities
As a seasoned front-end engineer you will have an incredible opportunity to learn and navigate among dozens of products and technologies that make up the AbeBooks marketplace. You will appreciate the complexity of the business domain, and learn to value simplicity in software intensive systems. You'll be responsible for building new and improving existing front-end services that can scale to millions of requests while thinking about our customers and how best to delight them. You will have the opportunity to work with Amazon teams and Amazon technologies (especially AWS) as we take advantage of the capabilities of our parent company. Last but not the least, you will be surrounded by smart and approachable colleagues, while living in beautiful Victoria or Vancouver, British Columbia.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Victoria, BC, CAN
- 1+ years of agile software development methodology experience
- Experience with common front-end technologies such as HTML, CSS, JS, TypeScript, and Node
- Experience building scalable front-end infrastructure software or distributed systems understanding how to optimize the delivery of code and assets to a browser or device. Proficient in a broad range of software design approaches and common UX patterns. Ability to articulate the benefits and challenges of depending on front-end libraries, frameworks, and tool-sets. Experience with Java, Python, AWS ecosystem would be beneficial.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.