Job Opening: Senior Digital Communications Specialist
About this opportunity
Actua is looking for an exceptional innovative communication professional to fill the role of Senior Digital Communications Specialist. This role is very key to our communications team and the successful candidate will provide marketing and communications leadership to our team in Ottawa. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to national impact of an entrepreneurial, yet extremely established organization while gaining invaluable professional experience. Our ideal candidate has deep and varied experience in digital marketing and social media and is personally passionate about new approaches in digital marketing. This is a full-time in-office position located in Ottawa, reporting to the Senior Director of Communications.
Actua is Canada’s leading science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) outreach organization, preparing youth to be innovators and leaders by engaging them in exciting and accessible experiences that build critical skills and confidence. We focus on engaging the hardest-to-reach youth in Canada ensuring they have the opportunity to develop essential STEM skills. Actua represents and supports a network of 43 members located at universities and colleges across Canada and provides this network with resources, funding, and advocacy at the national level. As a national charity, Actua is governed by an amazing Board of Directors.
You are a highly creative and thorough person who possesses an unwavering passion to drive brand awareness and the desire for clear execution of communications and marketing strategies. You have a digital first approach to communications and are on top of new and emerging trends in social media. You thrive on the opportunity to manage social media engagement, and website evolution and are natural at analysing key performance metrics. You are a champion of ensuring brand consistency across all digital channels and campaigns.
Your attention to detail is impeccable, and you take pride in your ability to anticipate industry trends and proactively prepare for them. You understand the importance of enhancing online reputations, meticulous documentation, and clear communication.
Your resourcefulness and adaptability enable you to navigate complex situations with ease, finding ways to streamline processes and improve overall efficiency.
Lastly, beyond your technical skills, your strong interpersonal skills allow you to build strong relationships and foster effective communication with a variety of different audiences including co-workers, internal partners, external agencies, and vendors. Your
natural sense of collaboration means you are at ease when suggesting opportunities for strategic enhancement with diverse audiences.
What you will do:
● Digital Communications: Develop and execute comprehensive digital communications and marketing strategies to drive brand awareness, improve social media engagement and increase website traffic. Utilize analytics to monitor performance and optimize engagement
● Strategy Enhancement: Stay up to date on industry trends and best practices in digital marketing and communications, and make recommendations to senior leadership to enhance our communication strategies accordingly.
● Social Media Leadership: Provide leadership for social media accounts, including working with the Social Media Specialist on content creation, scheduling, community management, and monitoring of engagement and online reputation.
● Brand Management: Ensure consistent application of our brand guidelines across all communication materials and digital channels, maintaining brand integrity and recognition.
● Content Creation: Alongside members of the communications team, plan, create and manage captivating content across various digital platforms, including website, blog, social media channels, email campaigns, and online advertisements.
● Search Engine Visibility: Optimize website content and user experience to improve conversion rates and enhance search engine visibility.
● External Relationships: Collaborate with external agencies and vendors to execute digital marketing initiatives, such as SEO optimization, paid advertising campaigns, and content creation and partnerships.
● Measure Performance:Monitor, measure, and evaluate key performance metrics, such as website traffic, social media engagement, and email open rates, to measure performance against communications goals and identify areas for improvement.
Does this position align with your strengths?
● You are an exceptional verbal and written communicator, skilled in creating compelling content for various digital channels.
● Your technical skills are extremely strong and you pick up new software and applications quickly
● You possess strong project management skills, understanding the impact and importance of the role.
● You are comfortable and confident in working with external agencies, initiatives, and vendors.
● You are a great team player, deeply valuing equitable and inclusive practices.
● You are a self-starter and take initiative when completing tasks. While you may have gaps in your understanding, you’re a self-motivated learner who loves to explore and can quickly pick up new concepts and ideas independently.
● You have an analytical mindset with the ability to interpret data, prioritizing evidence-based and data-driven recommendations.
● You are confident in the knowledge of website, digital marketing, and social media best practices including AODA and CASL.
● You are resourceful, adaptable, and have a proactive mindset when it comes to problem-solving and strategic decision-making.
● You have a natural ability to pay close attention to detail and a strong dedication to producing work of the highest quality.
● Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Communications, or a related field.
● Minimum 7 years of experience in digital communications or marketing roles with demonstrated expertise in developing and executing digital marketing and/or communications strategies.
● Experience in brand management andmaintaining brand consistency.
● Solid understanding of search engine optimization (SEO) principles and techniques.
● Up-to-date knowledge of industry trends and best practices in digital marketing and communications.
● Proficient in using digital marketing tools and platforms, such as Google Analytics
(with training and experience in Google Analytics 4), SEO tools, social media management platforms, and marketing automation software.
Why work with us
In this role, you will have the opportunity to make a national impact by joining a highly passionate and capable team that works extremely hard but also knows how to have fun.
Teammembers at Actua love coming to work and the environment is both driven and relaxed. This is your opportunity to join our vibrant team-driven environment while working in a youthful, fast-paced, and supportive culture. This role is based in our beautiful, snack-filled, Ottawa office, which is centrally located in the Byward Market. We offer a competitive salary, access to group health & medical benefits, and RRSPmatching.
For more information about us, please visit www.actua.ca
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single PDF document on the Actua employment page. Please note that while we appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that only applications with cover letters will be considered.
Actua is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to accessible employment practices. If you require accommodation for any part of the selection process, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Applications will be reviewed as submitted. We will take the necessary time to find a suitable candidate and consider all applications.
We’re committed to inclusion and accessibility.
At Actua, we celebrate openness, diversity, and inclusion to enrich our work. We wholeheartedly encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our organization including, but not limited to: women; racial or ethnic minorities; First Nations, Inuit, and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and 2SLGBTQI+ communities. We are committed to providing accessible accommodations throughout the selection process. Our recruitment team is here to support candidates with any inquiries regarding virtual interviewing, onboarding, work arrangements, accessibility, and locations.
We’re up to inspiring things! Be part of something incredible.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Ottawa, ON K1N 5M5: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Work Location: In person