Western Forest Products is hiring for a Human Resources Business Partner to join our HR Team in Nanaimo, BC.
What You’ll Do: As a key member of the Business HR team, you will be the front facing resource for our manufacturing business and our valued employees. Through the proactive engagement of business partners, supervisors and hourly staff, with the intent to build stronger and mutually beneficial relationships with employees, you will identify and address issues impacting employee relations with the overall intent to drive productive and motivated teams. This role reports directly to the Senior Manager, HR Operations, and leads a dedicated team that includes an HR Advisor and an HR Coordinator.
Who You Are: We are looking for a highly relationship-focused individual who can champion our holistic HR support system that serves the business’s needs. Our ideal candidate has a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in human resources or industrial Relations and at least 8 years of progressive Human Resources and Labour Relations experience in a highly unionized environment. You are an excellent communicator, skilled negotiator, respectful and solutions oriented in your approach, and a collaborative team player and people leader.
Work Environment: This position is based out of our Nanaimo office with regular travel on Vancouver Island as required.
- Human Resources and Labour Relations
- Supporting the implementation of strategic Human Resources and Labour Relations initiatives.
- Mentoring other members of the Human Resources team.
- Collaborating closely with operational leadership to execute strategies and initiatives to align with corporate and business unit goals, ensuring a productive and engaged workforce.
- Providing day to day to advice, counsel and guidance to site leadership on various disciplinary and operational matters, ensuring fair, consistent and legally defensible treatment of employees.
- Resolving employee relations issues, conducting investigations, and recommending and implementing corrective actions when necessary.
- Assisting operational business groups in all aspects of human resources, engaging cross-functional collaboration with the Corporate HR team to address issues promptly and comprehensively.
- Analyzing trends and metrics as they pertain to assigned business groups, using data and analysis to provide insight for decision making and implementing interventions to achieve business goals while enhancing employee engagement, commitment and retention.
- Interpreting and advising on Collective Agreements and applicable Case Law.
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements that align with business objectives, operational needs and strategic Labour Relations priorities.
- Actively engaging in third-step or higher union grievances and providing support of operational teams in the grievance process, as necessary.
- Preparing and Conducting labour arbitrations on behalf of the Company and in support of local management.
- Remaining current on evolving local, provincial, and federal laws and regulations as well as industry trends, and appraising operational leaders on such changes to ensure compliance and efficient operations.
- Planning and directing employee engagement events to promote a high-performing, inclusive, and mission-driven culture.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in Human Resources or Industrial Relations.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive Human Resources and Labour Relations experience in a highly unionized environment.
- Proven leadership experience in managing a small team.
- Extensive experience as a Trusted Advisor to all management levels and strategic partner to operations.
- A background in Forestry, Manufacturing or related industry is a plus.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Effective Conflict Resolution Skills: Capable of managing and resolving workplace conflicts, with a strong focus on preserving positive relationships among employees.
- Strong Leadership and Communication: Demonstrates strong decision-making, leadership and communication skills, fostering positive relationships within the organization.
- Active Listening and Negotiation: Exhibits strong active listening and negotiation skills.
- Professional Writing Abilities: proficient in professional business communication.
- High Integrity and Respect: Maintains a high level of integrity, professionalism, and respect for cultural differences, trust and positive relationships.
- Diversity and Sensitivity: Applies discretion to interactions on sensitive issues, educates others on the value of diversity, promoting inclusive and respectful relationships and workplace.
- Broad HR Understanding: Exhibits sound analytical, problem-solving and negotiation skills with an ability to understand various HR issues and resolve situation diplomatically, benefiting relationships across the organization.
- Talent Management Proficiency: Strong working knowledge of talent management, succession management, performance management, compensation and benefits;
- Legal Expertise: Demonstrates a strong knowledge of employment laws and standards, ensuring legal compliance and harmonious employee-employer relationships;
- Results-Orientated: Driven by results and performance while maintaining mutually beneficial relationships;
- Highly Organized and Multitasking: Highly organized with the ability to multitask effectively;
- Embraces Continuous Improvement: Embraces a culture of continuous improvement by being receptive to feedback from the HR team, operations, and leadership, nurturing a culture of learning and relationship development;
- Analytical and Problem-Solving Proficiency: Posses a strong analytical background and problem-solving skills;
- Effective Stakeholder Engagement: Demonstrates interpersonal, facilitation, presentation, and communication skills to effectively engage with multiple stakeholders.
- Willingness to Travel: Willing and able to travel up to 75% of the time, building and maintaining relationships across multiple locations;
At Western Forest Products, we believe our most significant asset is our people. Investing in our people brings value and success to our business, ensuring a safe, engaged, productive and continuously improving workplace. We offer challenging opportunities working alongside the best in the industry to meet your career and professional development goals while providing competitive total rewards and recognition.
We provide a variety of on-the-job training and continuing education in many areas at Western to ensure you have the skills you need to succeed. Our promote-from-within culture recognizes high performance and we offer diverse career paths across the organization for those with the talent and will to advance.
Our total rewards offering includes competitive pay, performance bonus, pension plan, benefits and other programs designed to support our employees.
Western Forest Products is a leading forest products company that sustainably manages forests and manufactures high-quality wood products. Headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia with operations in the coastal region of BC and Washington State, Western meets the needs of customers worldwide with a specialty wood products focus and diverse product offering.
Our commitment to health and safety, environmental stewardship and community engagement is core to how we do business at Western Forest Products.
Our approach to responsible business practices in all aspects of our business is multi-faceted. We adhere to and employ the most stringent environmental practices in the world. The steps we take to ensure the forests in which we operate are renewed and remain healthy and viable for future generations are mirrored in the care we take to make certain our communities continue to grow and prosper. This includes investing in communities where we operate and continuing to forge mutually beneficial relationships with First Nations in respect of their local and cultural interests.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $90,000.00-$110,000.00 per year
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
Flexible Language Requirement:
Work Location: In person