The Tla’amin Nation is a modern, forward thinking, self-governing nation located on the beautiful upper Sunshine Coast (qathet Region).
Job Type: Full-time, permanent
Department: Human Resources
Reports to: Human Resources Director
The Human Resources Advisor provides human resource and labour relations support at Tla’amin Health. This position carries out day-to-day HR activities including recruiting, onboarding & orientation, policy administration, employee relations support, health & safety, benefits administration, leave management, and records management. The position supports a cooperative and collaborative labour relations approach by providing consistent application and guidance on the collective agreement and maintaining positive working relationships with union representatives. The Human Resources Advisor is a member of Tla’amin Nation’s HR team and collaborates with the team to build and strengthen Tla’amin’s overall HR program.
Key ResponsibilitiesPerforms all duties and responsibilities in accordance with Tla’amin laws, regulations, policies, practices, and procedures as directed by the Human Resources Director. Maintains confidentiality as required pertaining to citizens, clients, employees, and general matters of the Nation. Recruiting and Onboarding
- Assists with the continuous improvement of Tla’amin Nation’s recruiting practices to ensure an effective and efficient process.
- Coordinates recruiting activities, ensuring the Collective Agreement and Tla’amin policies, procedures, and practices are followed throughout the recruiting process. Ensures a positive process for candidates and managers.
- Works with managers to develop/update position descriptions and job postings for approval.
- Works with the hiring manager to determine sourcing strategy and posts positions internally (union bulletin boards, website, Facebook) and external job posting sites.
- Supports the hiring manager and hiring panel to shortlist applicants, set up interviews, develop interview questions, and conduct reference checks. Participates as a member of various hiring panels.
- Prepares appointment letters (or offers/employment agreements) for approval and execution.
- Assists with the continuous improvement of Tla’amin Nation’s onboarding and orientation program to welcome new employees and support them through the orientation/probation period.
- Works with the hiring manager to set up and ensure a smooth onboarding process for new employees. Meets with new employees to deliver the HR component of the process.
- Checks in with new employees and managers each month during the orientation/probation period and reminds managers of orientation/probation period milestones.
Employee and Labour Relations
- Serves as a resource to employees. Assists employees with policy interpretation, conflict resolution and working relationships, and other employee relations issues.
- Applies knowledge of policies and the collective agreement in responding to management and staff queries, referring complex or unresolved matters to the Human Resources Director.
- Serves as an Employer representative on the Health and Safety Committee for Tla’amin Health.
- Promotes constructive union-management relations through respectful communication and interest-based problem solving.
- Maintains processes and records related to grievances from notification up to and including resolution. In collaboration with the HR Director, provides guidance on fact finding, drafting appropriate correspondence, preparing for and conducting meetings and assists with preparation for matters proceeding to third party processes.
- Acts as a resource to managers in all aspects of the employment relationship.
- Provides advice and guidance to managers on employee relations issues including: performance, investigations/complaints, human rights issues and duty to accommodate, policy interpretation, collective agreement interpretation and conflict resolution.
- Works with managers to ensure their teams have the tools, training, and support to be successful in their roles and maximize team performance.
Handles HR administration, including benefits administration, employee file maintenance, seniority lists, grievance administration etc.
- Liaises and works cooperatively with the HR team to ensure department goals are achieved.
- Provides backup to essential functions of other HR team members during periods of vacation or leave.
- Keeps up to date with changing employment-related and labour relations related legislation and advances information as required.
Other related duties as required.
- A Diploma or Degree in Human Resources Management or related field.
- A Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) designation or CPHR Candidate is an asset.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressive HR experience.
- Experience in a unionized environment, working with and interpreting collective agreements. Ability to build productive and cooperative working relationships with union representatives.
- Strong knowledge of employment related legislation, both federal and provincial.
- Well-developed knowledge of HR best practices and programs.
- Exceptional interpersonal and coaching skills, with the ability to work with staff at all levels and backgrounds and build trusting relationships. Ability to deal with conflict or difficult situations and work with parties to find appropriate solutions.
- Experience conducting investigations.
- Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience in full-cycle recruitment.
- Experience delivering new employee onboarding and orientation.
- Intermediate to Advanced computer skills in MS Office. Experience working with applicant tracking systems, leave management systems and other HR-based technology.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to streamline and continuously improve various HR processes.
- Respect for and a commitment to learn about Tla’amin culture and traditions.
- Class 5 Drivers License and acceptable Drivers Abstract.
- Acceptable Police Information Check
- All employees working from Tla’amin Health must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment. Occasional travel to attend meetings or training is required.
How to Apply
Please reply by sending your resume accompanied with a cover letter, by November 24, 2023, no later than 4:30 pm to:
Mail or drop off in person to:
Attention: Human Resources Department
4779 Klahanie Road
Powell River, BC
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $55,000.00-$75,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site gym
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Master's Degree (preferred)
- Human resources: 3 years (required)
Ability to Commute:
- Powell River, BC V8A 0B6 (required)
Ability to Relocate:
- Powell River, BC V8A 0B6: Relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-11-24
Expected start date: 2023-11-27