Job Number: 47751
Passionate about sustainability and urban design? Skilled at captivating people through the written word in all its forms? Curious about people and their stories? Check. Check. Check. Then this just might be the role you’ve been looking for.
Reporting to the Team Lead, Marketing & Sales, the Writer & Content Creator develops thought provoking, relatable and shareable content about the Blatchford community and its unique renewable energy utility. They are curious by nature with a strong sense of what makes a good story and excel in developing written content and other complementary mediums including video, social media, photography, auditory content, etc. They are a storyteller, uncovering and sharing the ways that this new community is leading the way for a more sustainable and resilient future. They have a knack for social media and are skilled at sharing stories across an organization's digital platforms.
With a focus on the City of Edmonton’s Cultural Commitments: Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, the Writer & Content Creator will be:
- Highly skilled at finding new stories and ways to tell them that match the topic and the need (supporting real estate sales, general community awareness, City communications, etc)
- Comfortable interviewing subject matter experts for inclusion in the community’s storytelling, real estate marketing and communication strategy (interviews with industry contacts, residents, homebuilders and other stakeholders)
- Skilled at researching topics and translating technical details and ideas related to sustainable community design into meaningful plain language writing or videos that resonate with various audiences
Able to demonstrate superior editorial writing and editing skills
- - beyond a typical business communications skill set.
- Skilled at looking for opportunities to self assign; curious, driven, understands a
- story opportunity when one arises and knows how to start drilling to the core of an
- issue to educate, entertain or attract an audience
- Confident in understanding the needs of different mediums (e.g. real estate features, blogs, video scripts, presentations, awards submissions, social media, news releases, website, customer focused communication, council reports) and can easily adapt their writing style and approach accordingly
- Skilled at shooting and/or sourcing original photography or video to accompany written copy
- Able to edit materials and complete post production (photoshop, video editing for social posts, blogs, etc)
- Confident managing external video/photography consultants as needed
- Able to manage other related duties as assigned, including media relations
- A related degree and a minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in a corporate communications, public relations, journalism or public affairs position with a degree OR;
- A related diploma and 4 years of progressively responsible experience in a corporate communications, public relations, journalism or public affairs position
- Advanced writing and editing skills
- Strong ability to research topics and translate ideas into readable, understandable, engaging content
- Able to develop clear narratives and measure the success of various communications initiatives
- Able to juggle different work projects and assignments at the same time; deadline and results driven
- Comfortable providing advice and counsel to branch and City leaders on optimal story content and positioning to achieve agreed upon goals
- Curious and inquisitive by nature
- Skilled at building relationships with strong interviewing skills (able to gain trust of interview subjects quickly)
- Comfortable in front of a camera as required
- Proficient at using different technology platforms to tell stories including video editing software (iMovie, Final Cut), photo editing software (Photoshop, Adobe Creative Suite)
- Must have demonstrated experience running social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- Experience in utility, real estate and/or land development communication and marketing services would be an asset
- Demonstrate alignment with the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, fostering an environment for others to do the same. For more information on the City’s Cultural Commitments, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework here: https://bit.ly/3hd2d95.
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact [email protected].
Up to one permanent full-time position
Hours of Work: 33.75 hours per week, Monday-Friday
The weekly hours of work for this position are currently under review and may change at a future time. Any changes will be made in accordance with the City of Edmonton/Civic Service Union 52 collective agreement and the incumbent will be notified in advance. Note: This position is available to access our Earned Days Off program.
Salary: $43.384 - $54.671 (Hourly); $76,431.03 - $96,317.10 (Annually)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: RD/JJ
Classification Title: Public Information Officer II
Posting Date: Sep 13, 2023
Closing Date: Oct 4, 2023 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Permanent Full-time
Union : CSU 52
Department: Blatchford Redevelopment Project
Work Location(s): 11th Floor Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue Edmonton T5J 0J4