Are you a focused, creative individual with the knack for helping smart professionals translate and share their ideas and passion? Do you enjoy translating highly technical information into easy-to-understand content for a variety of audiences. Are you silently editing this document as you read it? Are you thinking of different ways you would have written it? If so, we want to hear from you!
A Little About Us
At ISL, we share an enthusiasm for community infrastructure. From planning through to design and construction management, we create nimble teams to tackle the unique requirements of every project. Our technical expertise encompasses transportation, land use planning, civil engineering, municipal, landscape architecture, heritage services, environmental management, water, structural, community engagement, geomatics, construction services and 3D visualization. Just the right size, ISL delivers complex projects while being small enough to maintain strong, cohesive project teams and personal client attention and service.
ISL’s Proposal/Production Team is a high energy, high output group that supports internal clients to create expert responses to all types of RFx requests, and other documentation requests such as reports and memos. With an objective to increase win rates, delivery quality, compliant proposals and implement continuous improvement; the Proposal/Production Team collaborates with ISL project managers, internal business services groups and external partners to deliver our best. We support all offices and all disciplines of business at ISL. Our objectives are to increase the win rate, delivering quality, creative and compliant proposals.
The key to our team’s success is:
- Teamwork – We are unique in how we approach proposal work. Multiple team members work together on each and every proposal, which means we can act as a stronger unit while growing our own individual skillsets. While the proposal coordinator may be the lead on the pursuit for our team, they are not responsible for all aspects of a proposal from start to finish. Everyone on the team is ready to jump in and lend a helping hand wherever they can—someone will always have your back!
- Responsiveness – We strive to support business development opportunities across the company with varying levels of strategic, creative advice that fits the proposal and the team.
- Collaboration – While driving the proposal schedule and deliverables, we coordinate seamlessly with internal and external teams at all levels to execute responses to all types of RFX’s.
- Ongoing Development - We have a culture of mentorship and leverage both hands on and formal training opportunities to ensure that you have a versatile and diversified skillset that is fully funded.
ISL’s corporate philosophy is fostered by a strong and supportive culture of in-person collaboration while supporting hybrid working arrangements to allow for flexibility in how and where work gets done. This position can be based in ISL’s Burnaby, Langley, Edmonton, or Calgary office.
A Little About You
Your cover letter must demonstrate:
Your resume should show us:
- Exemplary customer service skills and the use of discretion and maturity when dealing with confidential and sensitive information.
- Commitment to continuous improvement by streamlining/automating processes and procedures and suggesting other target opportunities.
- Understanding of the role of the technical writer as it applies to business development efforts.
- Your thoughts on AI content generation in marketing professional services – how you use it now and how you see it integrating into future workflows.
Bonus points for:
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, or Communications or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of relevant experience as a technical writer.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to work on multiple tasks at various levels of completion.
- Strong analytical skills and high attention to detail.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and AI programs.
- Ability to effectively communicate under tight deadlines.
- Confidence when interacting with employees at all levels.
- Experience working in the engineering or construction sectors.
- Experience authoring responses to RFx’s.
A Little More About the Role
- Write, edit and proofread content for a variety of purposes and audiences including proposals, reports, resumes and other proposal/corporate related documentation.
- Work with the proposal owner, technical content providers, graphic designers, and proposal coordinators to answer RFP requirements, knitting together technical content and unifying the document for one strong voice
- Develop and maintain the corporate boilerplate information for proposals, recommending updates as needed to reflect ISL’s marketing position and unique selling proposition.
- Regularly connecting with the marketing team to discuss unified messaging and share content across platforms.
- Edit and proofread reports and documentation including recommendations on imagery and content to increase readability.
- Identify opportunities to integrate new processes or workflows in proposal delivery to increase efficiency and quality
- Review RFx’s and participate in pre-proposal meetings and contribute to the development of storyboard and win themes based on RFQ/RFP requirements.
- Collaborate with all members of the proposal team to ensure all pieces of the proposal meet RFP criteria.
- Coordinate content structure and organization of documentation based on clear communication to both technical and non-technical audiences, while understanding and following client format restrictions.
- Work with the graphic design team to create visuals that should be added to proposal and report comprehension.
- Attend proposal review sessions and provide edits and comments on the document and support document writing efforts.
- Review, edit and proofread materials written by others and ensure methodology and work plans meet the intent of the RFx and audience.
- Review, edit and revise previously created documentation.
- Assist, edit and write resume bios/highlights, project profiles, and award submissions.
At ISL, we share an enthusiasm for community infrastructure. From planning through to design and construction management, we create nimble teams to tackle the unique requirements of every project. Our technical expertise encompasses transportation, land use planning, civil engineering, municipal, landscape architecture, heritage services, environmental management, water, structural, community engagement, geomatics, construction services and 3D visualization. Just the right size, ISL delivers on complex projects while being small enough to maintain strong, cohesive project teams and personal client attention and service.
At ISL your identity is part of our identity. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) speaks to our core values and provides space for our teams to bring their authentic selves to work. ISL believes DEI creates the best outcomes for our clients while sustaining a happy and thriving work environment that allows for career development and opportunities for all staff. ISL is committed to a focused effort on continuous improvement and development of a respectful and safe workplace.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position. Only those who will be selected for an interview will be contacted.