Position: Technical Writer
Location: Edmonton, AB
Always there. Anywhere. That’s us! We are committed to delivering inspired solutions for a better world. We care about our communities, we care about each other, and we care about showing up for those who need us. We value and encourage different perspectives and we have the courage to do the right thing, even when it’s hard.
The successful candidate will spend time writing and editing technical documentation for departmental procedures as well as leading initiatives to align with ISO system management requirements. The incumbent will manage the Health & Safety Management System and the environmental Management System. Working closely with subject-matter experts, other clerks and project staff, this individual will produce documents that are concise, compliant, well formatted and that communicate effectively to end-users.
What You Get to Do:
- Identify key team members and audiences, and direct communications and documentation for those audiences, ensuring technical concepts are explained clearly, and in the terms the intended audience will be engaged with and understand, while maintaining technical accuracy.
- Elicit requirements via interviews, facilitated requirements workshops, document analysis, surveys, business process analysis, workflow, and task analysis, ensuring the right questions are asked to produce crucial information to help design and document controls.
- Ensure HSMS and EMS meet internal ISO standards and manage the audit, inspection & corrective actions with the Strategic Safety team and Field Services team as required.
- Gather information from cross-functional teams including Management, Engineering, and SMEs to develop, write, edit, update, and publish management systems, programs, guides, procedures, and reference materials.
- Develop new processes where required and/or streamline existing processes to create efficiencies, optimize outcomes and foster compliance.
- Lead the development and implementation of new processes.
- Collaborate with planners and other stakeholders to review, analyze, and develop improvements to standard processes and tools.
- Direct development of procedures, and systems for records and information storage of project and resource materials.
- Analyze communication problems or issues in a systematic way to identify relevant audiences, approaches and channels.
- Maintain Document Control system.
- Collaborate with IT Infrastructure in support of documentation to enable control design and more comprehensive retention of institutional knowledge.
- Responsible for creating the classification associated with the control structure including Policies, Guides, Procedures, Templates and Forms.
- Develop templates for the taxonomy and be accountable for the transition from the current to the new document control structure.
- Responsible for the development, maintenance, management, and delivery of digital documentation to appropriate audiences in the corporate format’s various online mediums.
- Assess and collaborate with new and emerging technology to innovate and improve document control and management system processes across various digital platforms.
What We Offer:
- A Bachelor's degree in English, Communications, Journalism or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of post-university graduate, directly related experience in designing, developing, writing, editing, and managing technical documents and procedures, specifically standard operating procedures.
- Completion of a Technical Writing certificate is an asset, but is not required
- ISO 9001 and/or 14001 auditor certificates are an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as strong listening and comprehension skills.
- Strong interviewing and interpersonal skills required to interview subject matter experts, stakeholders, and management, and translate targeted information into process documentation.
- Excellent time management skills
- A demonstrated ability to prioritize and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and SharePoint applications.
- Ability to mentor and train junior employees
- A culture based on caring, integrity, agility, collaboration, safety, and striving for excellence
- Competitive compensation
- Flex benefits
- Tuition assistance program
- Training and mentorship programs
- Charitable donation matching
We would like to thank everyone for their application; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.