BCIT’s Marketing & Communications department is seeking two (2) regular, full-time (1.0 FTE) Marketing and Digital Specialist. Reporting to the Marketing Manager, this position is key to the realization of brand and communications goals set forth in BCIT’s Strategic Plan. This includes the development and execution of leading-edge digital marketing strategies; analyzing and transforming data into optimizations that drive student recruitment and form the basis of strategic marketing plans and decisions across the institute. Drives solutions for data capture, customer journey mapping, and content strategy, providing marketing expertise to BCIT’s CRM implementation.
The work of this position impacts the Institute brand and reputation, student recruitment and retention, industry outreach, revenue generation, and operational processes. The Digital Specialist is a key contributor to the Institute’s crisis communications plan and implementation. The Specialist works closely with a varied customer portfolio in the BCIT community (including Schools, Student Services, and Administrative areas) in relation to the development and execution of highly targeted and innovative marketing communications plans, the pursuit of recruitment targets, and leveraging CRM and data to create customized digital solutions. The Specialist will develop and execute on integrated marketing plans and products that include any combination of advertising, collateral, event coordination, communications and media releases, digital and social media, referral programs and customized lists, U/X, and other tactics.
Responsible for their assigned portfolio, the Specialist implements stellar account and project management practices for a diverse range of clients and detailed projects, providing recommendations and solutions, driving projects from start to finish, building positive and collaborative relationships as the key liaison between Marketing and Communications (Marcom) and BCIT’s various schools and departments.
Duties & Responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Digital and Marketing Specialist develops proactive business partnerships with assigned Full-time and Flexible Learning programs and service areas to develop and execute innovative and strategic marketing and communications projects and initiatives that enhance and facilitate development and growth of BCIT’s objectives
Account Management and Client Service:
- Consults with various Institute stakeholders to understand their business objectives, and develops marketing and communications solutions to achieve their objectives, including Deans, Associate Deans, Program Heads, Faculty, Directors, Managers and staff.
- Engages with external stakeholders including marketing agencies, media representatives, Industry partners, government agencies, consultants, vendors and other domestic and international organizations, to develop and implement Marketing strategies, perform negotiations and promote sponsorships or partnerships.
- Builds and maintains relationships, plans and executes on projects with stakeholders.
- Guides and influences stakeholders on marketing concepts, processes, innovative marketing and communications techniques to build brand affinity and drive student recruitment.
- Manages a portfolio as a single-point of contact representing Marcom on a daily basis with their assigned stakeholders
- Develops and leads customer journey mappings and drive flexible consulting engagement with relation to the customer’s experience on the products and services, in order to take informed actions to solve problems, provide differentiated services, and drive revenue.
- Forms and oversees project teams with a variety of Marcom specialists. Manages project timelines and critical paths, timely and consistent communication with stakeholders, and reporting.
- Works closely in multi-departmental groups in problem identification and resolution as it relates to often complex and confidential enrolment strategies and data, and makes recommendations on appropriate courses of action.
- A member of the work team responsible for Crisis Communications, helps lead and prepare crisis communications in digital channels, practicing confidentiality and discretion handling highly sensitive matter, may work directly with members of the Senior Leadership team including the President and members of the Board.
- Develops and project manages strategy and content for paid, earned and owned digital marketing while ensuring synergy across tactics and campaigns.
- Collaborate with agency and internal partners to develop strong, integrated campaigns and media strategies with the relevant analysis and business context to support decisions and drive brand objectives.
- Applies best practices in CRM and customer analytics to segment our audiences and design customized campaigns, delivering optimized messages to the right audience at the right time across channels.
- Shapes and implements an interim institute CRM program, leveraging available tools, analyzing data, mapping communications and messaging along the customer lifecycle and recruitment funnel, building effective engagement strategies.
- Shapes and drives implementation of the enterprise CRM project’s application to marketing and communications initiatives and campaigns.
- Provides expertise, recommendations and implementation of automations to ensure timely and relevant communications across platforms.
- Owns and develops the Subscribe program, ensuring prospective students receive timely and customized messaging, aiding key conversions.
- Optimizes online properties (website, landing pages, and social media channels) for SEO and U/X, maps out how digital assets will be optimized for various platforms.
- Working closely with data contributors across the institute including Web, Institute Research and Enrolment Planning and external agencies, analyzes and assesses results for optimization of digital strategies and tactics, providing actionable insights to stakeholders.
- Creates and executes social media strategy, aligning with the departmental digital strategy and curates content for Institute-level social media accounts.
- Monitors digital trends, experiments with new digital tools and promotes BCIT’s digital presence.
- Hires, trains, and manages the student blogger and influencer program.
- Responsible for internal and external email marketing, including: creating, implementing and managing email marketing campaigns and lists; testing and reporting.
- Develops, implements and maintains the student recruitment email strategy.
Marketing and Communications Products and Services:
- Works with the assigned school contact(s) on the design and implementation of a proactive annual marketing and communications plan(s).
- Sources enrolment and application data to inform strategies and tactics in the marketing plan(s); develops and executes marketing plans accordingly to meet or exceed targets.
- In conjunction with the Manager, Marketing, leads and manages the development of creative, innovative, and strategic marketing and communications initiatives to meet objectives outlined in the school marketing plan(s) as defined by agreed-upon key performance indicators (KPIs). Implements marketing strategies and communication practices to meet KPIs.
- Develops, reconciles and reports out on marketing and campaign scorecards to stakeholders.
- Liaises with multiple contributors, provides leadership and project management support on the development and execution of initiatives, marketing campaigns, activations and events, partnership programs, communications and collateral; advises on costs and alternate methods of increasing cost effectiveness.
- Leads the strategy and resources development of multilingual and multicultural specialized marketing program campaigns using specialized international platforms.
- Monitors the effectiveness of marketing and communications campaigns, products and services on a regular basis. Brings forward recommendations after reviewing research and gathering data, responds to client needs as they arise and assists in the development of appropriate courses of action.
- Advocates for the BCIT brand by producing recommendations and feedback which supports the development and successful implementation of marketing strategies, communication practices, brand identity stewardship, and research.
- Enhances marketing and communication activities by conducting interviews with internal and external stakeholders, conducting market research, and soliciting feedback from subject matter experts.
- Project manages, writes, edits, and proofreads Institute marketing and communications deliverables, including: annual reports, student recruitment brochures and publications, posters, email communications, digital newsletters, social media posts, media releases, print and digital advertisements and advertorials, and other print and digital assets, etc.
- Advises, writes, edits, and proofreads website content for brand consistency, aligning with brand and recruitment strategies.
- Creates briefs and content outlines for marketing deliverables.
- Provides strategic and advisory support for producing video and photographic content, including pre-production coordination support, liaising with talent and other contributors, on-set support, etc. May capture video and content for social media postings.
- Reviews, researches, and puts forward recommendations or suggestions to optimize and/or update marketing procedures, standards and/or related protocols.
- Oversees and coordinates the documentation process for all marketing and publication planning initiatives and activities with clients that includes developing detailed project plans, setting milestones, deliverables, agreed to processes, and outcomes.
- Assesses, analyzes, and supports the implementation of newly developed products and services.
- Supports and participates in the coordination of major BCIT initiatives and events.
- Monitors and manages budgets relating to marketing and communications activities outlined in the school marketing plans.
- Provides timely budget updates to Marcom management and administrative teams.
- Provides updates to stakeholders on the status of their allocated marketing/campaign budget.
- In conjunction with other contributors, ensures accuracy of expenditures and receipt of goods during fiscal year-end
- Participates as an active and contributing member on a variety of departmental and client sponsored committees and events.
- May participate in disaster training and communications planning.
- Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade of this position.
Definition: The qualifications section for this position was developed using the approved job evaluation plan, agreed to between the BCGEU and BCIT. The qualifications represent the minimum qualifications required in the future (i.e. to be reflected in job postings) and do not reflect the incumbent’s existing qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree in a discipline such as business administration or marketing and communications, plus specialized training courses in an appropriate discipline.
- Current specialized training and courses in digital marketing, analytics, CRM, social media, digital advertising, search engine optimization (SEO), and project management.
- Two years general experience plus four years practical current experience in a similar position.
- Proven ability to deliver creative and innovative marketing solutions, from ideation to activation in market.
- Account and project management experience.
Software/Computer Application(s) and Expertise:
- Working knowledge of CRM tools and customer databases (such as SimplyCast, Raiser’s Edge, Banner), SEO, and Google Analytics
- Experience with web Content Management Systems (CMS) such as Wordpress.
- Current experience planning and writing for social media platforms, developing content calendars and reporting KPIs.
- Solid Microsoft Office skills plus working knowledge of Banner student registration system, COGNOS reporting applications, CMS software such as Marqui / Wordpress, email marketing platforms such as Industry Mailout, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Experience with photo / video editing software like Adobe Photoshop / Premiere is preferred but not essential.
- Proven ability to deliver creative and innovative marketing solutions, from ideation to activation in market.
- Must have excellent oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships by exercising tact and diplomacy while maintaining the highest levels of customer service.
- Exceptional understanding of CRM, acquisition strategies and tactics.
- Working understanding of related digital disciplines such as User Experience, Content Strategy & Creation, Production, etc.
Administrative Skills (e.g. prioritizing, minute taking, wp speed, etc.):
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressures, meet tight deadlines and effectively handle changing priorities.
- Must possess well-developed project management, organization, and problem solving skills. Must be detailed oriented.
- Experience with reconciling budgets.
- Must be willing and able to take initiative on operational tasks and special projects.
- Demonstrated experience, success and know-how of effective social media use, engagement and management.
- Working knowledge of blogging and influencer marketing.
Additional Salary Information
External hires are initially placed at the minimum of the salary range with set progressions to the maximum as per the Collective Agreement. Salary prorated based on percentage and term of appointment.