Shop Foreman (Full-Time, Year Round Employment)
West-Can Seal Coating (West-Can) is a privately held road infrastructure company specializing in pavement preservation and roadway construction across Western Canada. The Company’s location is in Didsbury Alberta, and been in business for 30 years.
West-Can is currently seeking an experienced Shop Foreman to come and maintain and repair fleet and equipment, ensuring safety, integrity, cost effectiveness and protection of our WCS assets. Reporting to the Operational Manager, the Shop Foreman will be a leader who is responsible for overseeing the selection, purchase, maintenance and repair of WCS fleet vehicles and equipment, assignment of work and deployment of staff; recommending and implementing efficiencies to ensure cost-effective delivery of fleet services, in accordance with applicable legislation, corporate policy and objectives. In addition to managing the shop, the Shop Foreman will be involved in building and tracking long term strategies for cost efficient vehicle fleet use and managing the life cycle and disposal of fleet assets.
Key Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Supervise and coach a team of 10-15 heavy duty, truck and trailer and auto, apprentice mechanics
- Prepare reports and recommendations for Operation Manager
- Coordination of fleet services operations, scheduling of work and staff performance, inventory and procurement, estimates, invoicing and warranty issues
- Ensure that all licensing, testing and inspection requirements are met and conduct final inspections and approve work
- Work independently and in concert with the Operations Manager to administer and manage fleet resources, equipment, budget and related programs
- Use software to collect and record data to monitor vehicle performance
- Analyze collected data to identify patterns and take remedial action to reduce costs and improve efficiencies
- Oversee Fleet Maintenance, annual inspections, work orders of all staff and schedule accordingly
- Research parts availability and costing and manage an internal parts department
- Develop full life-cycle overhaul and maintenance strategies that support mechanical reliability targets and support the development of a detailed asset life cycle cost model
- Work closely with the field on any related issues or concerns
- Monitor compliance to documented work scopes, maintenance policies and processes for all fleets programs and component overhauls and repairs
- Monitor performance of employees and equipment; approximately 150 licensed, plus off road equipment
- Conduct Safety meetings; maintain SOP’s
- Minimum 7 years of experience in a management and leadership role within experience in implementing change
- Heavy Duty or Truck and Transport Journeyman mechanic license
- Progressive experience in a municipal fleet environment and managing a team
- A strong understanding of the regulations pertaining to municipal fleet maintenance and management
- Direct budgeting, forecasting and financial analysis experience
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license or better is required, with clean drivers abstract
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills in Word and Excel (MS Office, Excel and Viewpoint)
- Business Administration, Engineering, Commerce or related degree is desirable
- Experience with Computerized Fleet Complete will be considered an asset
Skills and Attributes:
- Genuine desire to mentor and support staff
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to learn and effectively use Viewpoint and Fleet Complete software
- Excellent customer service, negotiation, organizational and project management skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Skillful in finding solutions, and resolving conflict
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment, creativity and good-decision making to lead planning projects to successful completion
- Full Time. Extended hours will be required during May – October
- Occasional service calls will be required
- We offer a healthy compensation package, which includes a strong base pay.
- Company vehicle, excellent employee benefit package offered.
- Business expenses are paid by the company.
Candidates are invited to apply online or company website or via e-mail [email protected] cover and reference to position title.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $100,000.00-$110,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Didsbury, AB T0M 0W0: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- What types of equipment have you worked on, please list on road and off road?
- At minimum, so you have a valid Class 5 Driver's License? Clean Abstract?
- Confirm Journeyman Heavy Duty Mechanic or Interprovincial Red Seal for On Road w/CVIP?
- How many years experience in a management and leadership role?
Work Location: In person
Expected start date: 2024-01-01