We are leading supplier of property and casualty insurance in Canada, providing innovative underwriting solutions to licensed brokers across Canada. We offer a broad range of products servicing business in one of our core segments: Hospitality, Recreation & Resorts, Construction (COC), Contractors, Professional Insurance, Real Estate, Transportation and more. Our underwriting expertise and facilities let us write even the toughest risks or solve that small wrinkle in what might otherwise be a standard risk. We are seeking an Underwriter to join our segment.
Working as part of a team, you are responsible for analyzing the acceptability of business opportunities according to company guidelines. This includes reviewing and pricing new submissions, renewal business and endorsements.
As a Junior Commercial Underwriter, you will help drive the growth and profitability of SPGC. You will build broker relationships and leverage your expertise, creativity, and entrepreneurial spirit to build your book. Surrounded by a team of experienced practice leaders, managers, and executives, we provide an extensive range of products, ample capacity, and empowerment to enable your success. In this role, you will work collaboratively with your colleagues and management to provide value added expertise and exceptional service to our broker partners.
This position will:
- Perform risk analysis using internal and external data resources for the purpose of quoting, negotiating and authorizing the renewal of existing policies of a low to moderate complexity based on guidelines and retention goals of the company;
- Handle endorsement requests within delegated authority. Independently engages with broker to clarify intent of the request or seek missing information;
- Develop and support professional business partnerships with brokers by providing prompt service, responding to inquiries, acting pro-actively and taking ownership of issues and resolving them with a solution-oriented approach;
- Communicate decisions and respond to requests in a prompt and professional manner;
- Build and maintain positive working relationship with internal and external parties, including attending industry related seminars and networking events as necessary;
- Negotiate coverage with brokers within and delegated authority parameters;
- Manage, strengthen, and grow a book of profitable business;
- Maintain compliance with established corporate guidelines and delegated authority parameters;
- Work independently to meet deadlines following company guidelines to accomplish goals;
- Take ownership of work-related activities and follow through on your commitments;
- Deal effectively with pressure, maintain a positive outlook and recover quickly from setbacks;
- Prioritize and complete tasks to deliver desired outcomes within allocated time frames;
- Take personal responsibility and action toward learning and implementing new ideas, method, and technologies;
- Demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal;
- Exhibit good decisional making and analytical skills;
- Document assigned files ensuring completeness, compliance, and quality to meet the documentation standards. Keep paper free environment by uploading the documents on our company software; and
- Complete loss reports and post-claim underwriting reviews.
Qualifications and Characteristics:
You're a good fit if you:
- Have at least 1 year of commercial underwriting or commercial brokering experience;
- Hold a Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation (or are actively pursuing);
- Hold a broker license (level 1 or 2), or can qualify for a license within 90 days;
- Can type a minimum of 40 words per minute;
- Are proficient to an intermediate level on Microsoft Outlook and Word;
- Are familiar with the basic legal structures in Canada; and
- Can work in one of our offices at least three days a week.
Send your cover letter and resume today and take the next step in your professional career! You can also send us your resume at [email protected].
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $48,000.00-$58,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Vancouver, BC V7Y 1A1: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- underwriting: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Vancouver, BC V7Y 1A1