Job Purpose: The General Manager position successfully leads the organization with overall responsibilities for the operation including but not limited to financial performance, safety, inventory management, production, maintenance, logistics and quality control. Models visible, positive attitude, work ethic, and leadership to plant workers and office staff, including attendance, care and attention to operations and mentoring and advancing employees.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct and manage all site operations including safety, quality control, production, equipment maintenance, site maintenance, inventory, and shipping/logistics.
- Leads by example with a strong work ethic and impeccable attendance and fosters a positive environment of accountability and teamwork.
- Ensures adequate and optimal year-round and seasonal staff to run operations in the most cost effective and operationally efficient manner.
- Ensure semi-annual performance and development reviews of all staff. Manages disciplinary reviews and ensures actions are administered, documented, and appropriately managed in compliance with HR policies .
- Provide direction, development, and leadership to direct and indirect reports. Direct reports include the Logistics & Administration Manager, Production Manager, Farm Manager, Human Resources and eventually Sales and Marketing. As the production grows, the organization plans to add a dedicated Plant Production Manager, and until that level of production is attained, the General Manager will handle those duties and responsibilities with a key focus on maximizing production and optimizing plant staffing and development.
- Leads the trouble shooting and problem solving in all aspects of the business with a focus to assist direct and indirect reports in increasing their skills to take on more responsibility for ensuring the operation runs smoothly. The General Manager will focus on ensuring transfer of knowledge and skills to the team.
- Ensures that all product is being processed and moved in an efficient and effective manner. The organization will process up to 90 containers a week, shipped on a schedule that can change day to day based on supply chain constraints and customer requirements. Reliability of customer supply is key to the success of the organization and the successful candidate will be able to manage and augment processes and procedures to ensure quality control, on time delivery and optimal production. The production plant currently runs two day shifts and one night shift, 5 days/week with additional weekend and night shifts added as and when needed. The organization will double its production in the next 2 years and hours, shifts and days of operation will increase.
- Ensure the success of planning and executing first and second cut harvests – including personnel, rental equipment, 7 day/week operations for the successful storage of the annual harvest while maintaining pressing operations.
- Work with the Logistics & Admin manager, Production and Farm Manager to deliver information to the finance, accounting, analytical and management team in the development of annual budgets.
- Sets goals and leads to achieve them through communication and planning with direct reports.
- Implements and is accountable for the annual budget including production levels and operating costs as well as administrative costs of the plant office.
- Monitor weekly plant metrics for production, logistics and quality standards, as well as monthly financial performance relative to the budget.
- Ensure the implementation and support preventative safety and maintenance programs, HR policies and other processes to ensure the organization is best in class with a culture of continuous improvement.
- Works collaboratively with the team , ensures reporting and communication to senior management occurs in a timely and consistent manner.
- Enjoys interacting with people. Building, fostering, and leading a high functioning team.
- Proven history of managing a budget and successfully building and leading teams to achieve increasing objectives year-over-year.
- +5 years of plant or general management experience in an agriculture, manufacturing, or similar supervisory environment.
- Has led a team of over 20 people in a fast- paced growth environment.
- Class Five Driver’s License, and a Clean Driver’s Abstract.
- Optimist, self-starter, eager to learn new things and continuously improve.
- Safety track record including knowledge of relevant legislation.
- Mechanical aptitude sufficient to understand and oversee troubleshooting of plant operations.
- Knowledge or experience in timothy and alfalfa hay production, would be an asset.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to lead, coach, develop and motivate individuals.
- Ability to facilitate complex problem solving through good organization, management skills, written and verbal communication.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office (Word, Teams, Excel, Outlook) and Dropbox.
- Enjoys working within Indigenous Communities.
- Knowledge of CFIA export regulations an asset.
- Business, Agronomy or Technical Degrees are assets to the position.
- Weekend and Evenings will be required due to the operational nature of the business.
- 10-12 hours per day or as needed.
- Exposure to noise, hay dust, fumes, and adverse weather conditions.
- Exposure to high levels of hay dust may aggravate allergies and asthma.
- The role is onsite and located in a rural area, personal transportation is required to and from the plant.
- Able to work during seasonal weather conditions.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended amounts of time.
- Required to wear appropriate PPE in plant.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $100,000.00-$150,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Lethbridge, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Secondary School (preferred)
Work Location: In person