STATEMENT OF INTENTION
We encourage applications from a wide spectrum of backgrounds and experiences, recognizing the immense value that diversity brings to our team. We're on a journey of learning and growth, continually striving to create a more inclusive and equitable environment. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented communities, including Black, racialized, and Indigenous Peoples, members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community, newcomers to Canada, and People with Disabilities, to apply.
In our pursuit of fostering an environment where everyone feels seen and respected, our search partner P4G extends an invitation for you to openly share information about your unique experiences and preferences within your cover letter or resume, including pronouns if you wish.
We are committed to providing accommodations for individuals with disabilities at every stage of the hiring process. We recognize that there is always more to learn and improve upon in our journey towards greater inclusivity and humility.
ABOUT THE TOWN OF NEW GLASGOW
The Town of New Glasgow, nestled along the scenic riverside of Northern Nova Scotia, stands as a vibrant and pivotal commercial center for Pictou County. Here at New Glasgow, we take pride in our dynamic and flourishing financial and professional sectors, upholding a longstanding tradition of excellence that permeates entrepreneurship, education, social leadership, athletics, entertainment, and all levels of government. Our town is a testament to history, adorned with architectural gems that narrate the past. We continuously expand our offerings to enrich the lives of our residents and visitors alike. New Glasgow presents an ever-growing array of amenities, including vibrant arts and culture centers, a diverse selection of restaurants and entertainment venues, and an abundance of lush parks and trails. These facets converge to cultivate a thriving community and bolster our local economy.
THE TOWN OF NEW GLASGOW IS GUIDED BY KEY STRATEGIES THAT DEFINE OUR COMMITMENT TO PROGRESS:
- Investment in Infrastructure: We believe in the power of well-maintained infrastructure to drive growth and prosperity.
- Commercial Development: We actively promote a business-friendly environment, fostering economic expansion.
- Environmental Stewardship: We are dedicated to preserving and enhancing our natural surroundings for current and future generations.
- Downtown Revitalization: We are invested in revitalizing our town center, making it a vibrant hub for all.
- Cultural Diversity: We celebrate diversity and actively work to build an inclusive community.
- Strategic Partnerships and Regional Cooperation: We believe in the strength of collaboration and actively engage in regional initiatives.
- Health and Safety: We prioritize the well-being of our residents and employees, ensuring a safe environment for all.
- The Creative Economy: We recognize the vital role of creativity and innovation in driving economic growth.
As an employer in New Glasgow, you'll be part of a community that embraces growth, diversity, and progress. Join us in shaping a future filled with opportunities, both for personal and professional development, in a town that treasures its heritage while embracing a forward-thinking vision.
THIS MOMENT, THIS POSITION
As a vital part of our Information Technology Department, your role will involve delivering comprehensive technical support to various Town Of New Glasgow departments and other Municipal IT service users. Your support encompasses a wide range of user-level hardware, software, peripherals, and mobile communication devices.
You will play a crucial role in assisting staff with the installation, configuration, and seamless utilization of end-user computing devices and related software, including but not limited to Microsoft Office 365 and other applications. Moreover, you will provide essential technical guidance to users, ensuring their familiarity with standard hardware devices like desktops, laptops, mobile devices, and business software applications. Through your collaboration with users, you will be instrumental in maintaining the optimal performance of all client computing and mobile devices. Your contribution ensures that our technological ecosystem operates at its peak efficiency.
- Provide level 1 technical support to all regional IT service clients and Town of New Glasgow departments on an as-needed basis, servicing all user-level hardware, software, peripherals and mobile communications devices
- Assist staff with the installation, configuration and ongoing usability of end-user computing devices and related software, including cloud-based applications such as Microsoft Office 365 and suite of software
- Train and give basic technical orientation to users on the use of standard hardware devices such as desktop/laptop computers, mobile computing devices, mobile communication handhelds, as well as standard business software applications
- Work closely with users to ensure all client computing and mobile devices are functioning and operating at proper performance levels.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate is a tech-savvy individual with a strong foundation in IT and a passion for troubleshooting and problem-solving. They possess excellent communication skills, providing effective technical assistance to end-users, translating complex technical jargon into clear and easy-to-understand language.
The candidate is also highly organized and capable of managing multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced environment. Adaptability and a willingness to learn are key traits, given the ever-evolving nature of technology. Moreover, a customer-centric approach, patience, and a friendly demeanour are essential to ensure positive user experiences while resolving IT issues.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience in the Information Technology industry would be considered an asset; however, recent graduates from a recognized postsecondary institution with a focus on a related Information Technology curriculum may also apply
- Proven work experience including completion of a recognized post secondary coop or on-the-job training program supporting a Windows-based client/server network
- Post-secondary education with a focus on information technology systems or related work experience
- A+ certificate or other technology-related certifications will be considered an asset
- Previous Municipal Government experience would also be considered an asset
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle for local travel around Pictou County
SALARY: $42,000 - $50,000/year
- Group benefits (Health, Dental, Life Insurance, LTD, AD&D).
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan.
- Professional Development and Training Opportunities.
LOCATION: New Glasgow, Nova Scotia (On-Site)
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.
Please be sure to include a cover letter that speaks to your experience, but we also want to get a glimpse of your personality.
Don’t be generic, be yourself.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- We closely review all applications and read each cover letter (we promise).
- If you are selected as a top candidate, expect an invitation to chat with a Lead Placemaker from P4G. This is someone who treats the recruitment process non traditionally. We want to get to know what inspires you.
- Selected candidates will proceed to a virtual interview with the Lead P4G Placemaker and 2-3 organizational representatives. Finalists may participate in a second-round interview or skills activity (virtual or in person).
- P4G will check employment references and assist in presenting an offer to the successful candidate.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $42,000.00-$50,000.00 per year
Work Location: In person