Director, Human Resources
What will your typical day look like:
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources and partnering very closely with the Operations Manager and team in our Hamilton facility, you will work on-site and be responsible for managing day to day HR related matters including program facilitation, policy follow-through, employee relations, and performance management. You will provide strategic guidance and partner with the local leadership teams to ensure alignment to overall company objectives. If you are excited about overseeing HR within a key manufacturing site, work well in a fast-paced environment and drive positive employee culture, Gay Lea Foods is the place for you!
In this role you will:
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders within client groups and provide your expertise in HR related matters.
- Collaborate with the Director of Human Resources and the HR team to ensure alignment of programs and policies with overall strategic direction of organization.
- Coordinate, administer and facilitate the performance management and talent management for employees.
- Support the execution of HR strategies, policies, procedures, and programs to sustain continued growth and retention.
- Respond to questions from management and employees on a wide variety of HR matters and escalating higher level and serious matters to Director of HR.
- Champion progressive employee / employer relations principles.
- Facilitate day to day employee relations, including complaint resolution.
- Provide support and assist with benefit related questions and concerns, claims resolutions, and any disability / transitional work management programs.
- Partner with our Talent Acquisition Team on recruitment and provide onboarding support to hiring managers.
- Assist in implementing various HR initiatives, including providing recommendations on process and program improvements.
- Lead the organizing of corporate events such as fundraising campaigns and holiday parties; actively participate in Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives.
- Other ad hoc projects as assigned by Management.
- Occasional business travel to other sites and corporate office as needed.
- Post -secondary degree in Human Resources; CHRP or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum 3 years’ relevant work experience including:
- hands-on HR leadership role
- experience in a manufacturing environment CPG industry (food industry an asset)
- Health & Safety experience an asset
- Working knowledge of Employment Standards, Human Rights, WSIB, and Labour legislation required
- Strong business acumen with a solid understanding of how to balance the needs of the business with positive employee engagement.
- Excellent communication skills combined with demonstrated problem solving ability.
- Results orientated, self-starter with exceptional interpersonal skills who can influence and coach others effectively.
- Superior collaborative and teamwork skills with the ability to quickly shift priorities to meet organization requirements collectively.
- Strong professionalism and diplomacy pertaining to all areas of discretion and confidentiality.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and HRM systems.
- Experience in a Time & Attendance environment; background with Ceridian Dayforce an asset.
Gay Lea Foods is a proud Canadian-owned dairy food and beverage company with a robust portfolio that includes 7 established brands such as Gay Lea Butter, Nordica Cottage Cheese, Ivanhoe Cheese, Salerno Cheese, and Hewitt’s Dairy. Our wide range of products are sold in Retail, Foodservice, Industrial, Co-pack, and Export markets, developed and produced out of our 13 manufacturing facilities in Ontario and Alberta.
Delivering high-quality and innovative products - from the consumer favourite Spreadables and North America’s first Smooth™ Cottage Cheese, to Nothing But Cheese™, an innovative snack made with 100% cheese, is what makes us market leaders in our categories. Our grassroots approach to business is what guides our direction and differentiates us from our competitors.
Our employees inspire our culture of excellence and entrepreneurship. We hire innovative and passionate professionals who know that greatness is achieved through people, partnerships, and acting with a business owner mindset.
For more about us visit:
Gay Lea Foods is an equal-opportunity employer and values diversity in our workplace.
Reasonable accommodation is available upon request throughout our recruitment and selection process.
Thank you for your interest in Gay Lea Foods.
Wishing you all the best with your career search!