This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position has a term length of 1 year plus a day with a possibility of renewal and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed on our Benefits Overview page.
Location - North Campus Edmonton
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Working for the Department/Faculty
Engineering & Operations (Building Operations) provides comprehensive 24-hour support maintaining, operating, and monitoring all key institutional infrastructure and building systems.
Responsible for monitoring and responding to client inquiries along with operational issues as they relate to our program via various communication methods (ticketing systems, support emails or phone calls). As the single point of contact for our stakeholders, this position requires a commitment to service excellence with friendly, professional, reliable, self-motivated, and strong communication skills (both verbal and written). This position requires positive and proactive problem-solving skills.
- Serves as a resource for routine and general inquiries and procedures.
- Manages program email accounts: triage, responding and redirecting inquiries as appropriate.
- Develops a working knowledge of the policies and procedures associated with our current building security systems and the ability to execute administrative requests associated with these systems.
- Work in conjunction with other Building Operations personnel to resolve operational issues as they arise.
- Performs data entry for the area or program.
- Perform inventory audits on material storage areas.
- Complete and submit formal equipment shutdown requests on behalf of our Operational units.
- Schedule preventative maintenance activities.
- Analyze trends in work completion and safety training analytic platforms and provide recommendations to leadership based on this information.
- Responds to requests from the University community in a timely and professional manner.
- Assist in creating, documenting, and communicating any new processes that may be implemented.
- Maintains files and filing systems (hard copy and electronic).
- Update relevant process and procedure documentation to reflect any changes or modifications that may have occurred.
- Maintains spreadsheets and/or databases.
- Schedules and coordinates meetings, events, and activities.
- Work towards supporting a positive and inclusive workspace.
- Certificate in Office Administration or equivalent.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload while ensuring quality service is being delivered to clients.
- Experience with process mapping and developing and documenting basic workflows.
- Ability to focus and work through interruptions.
- Able to handle change and deal appropriately with stressful situations.
- Strong organization and time management skills with the ability to work well under pressure.
- Proficient computer skills including familiarity with Windows & Google products.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and communication skills.
- Minimum 2 years of equivalent experience in a service/help-desk environment would be considered an asset.